Discuss Eaves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

townfanjon

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Guys, I am a bit unsure on this, please give me your thoughts......
I fitted a boiler years ago into a garage which is attached to the house, I used the original flue hole. I cant remember measuring the flue hole in relation to the eaves, at the time there was no soffit.
So the customer rings up today and tells me shes had the UPVC guys in , they have fitted soffits now.
She asked if the flue was now ok.
From the bottom of the soffit to the flue air ports is 180 mm , is that where I take the measurement from ?

Thank you

A bit of white plastic trim where the flue is might work?

Last edited:
Yes measure from the bottom of the sophit to the flue in a straight line down the wall.

Check the mi for clearance from combustible meterials.

I take it they havent put vents in the sophit ?

[DLMURL="http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-PVCu-White-Cloaking-Profile-65x2500mm/p/162623"]Wickes PVCu White Cloaking Profile 65x2500mm | Wickes.co.uk[/DLMURL]

something like this stuck over the vents 300mm either side of the flue

Last edited by a moderator:
This is one i saw a couple weeks back!

Been installed for about 7 years directly within the eaves!

image.jpg

Phill and scott , there are no vents in the soffits. The customer knows the flue should be over 200 away from the eaves, but as said is the soffit the start of the eaves ? It all looked ok until they put the soffits on lol

Last edited:
I thought its 200 below eaves... Or you can reduce to 25mm to sofit etc if you extend the flue past it etc...

Yep its 200, but you cant really extend forward because the flue will show 'white' I think some manufacturers allow it Viessmann dont . . For the sake of 20 mm i dont think I am going to change anything, I am just more interested where the measurement is taken from for future jobs

Its 200 usually if another dimension is less than 25mm say next to a drain pipe etc.

I am presuming its not old balanced flue lol

Better check the specific MI's.
Some the older Viessmanns require a heat shield if flue within 450mm of plastic/painted soffits.
The standard clearance to eaves is 200mm.

Last edited:
Hmmm indeed the BS chart states 200 yes and some veissman also 200

My bad...in haste i looked at a baxi MI i had to hand and it was 25mm.

Yep its 200, but you cant really extend forward because the flue will show 'white' I think some manufacturers allow it Viessmann dont . . For the sake of 20 mm i dont think I am going to change anything, I am just more interested where the measurement is taken from for future jobs

Measure from the closest point of the flue terminal (outer) to the obstruction/opening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Eaves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock