Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss expansion pipe on a open vented system in the Central Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldplumber john

oldplumber john New Member

Can you please tell me the possible problems caused by the vent pipe dipping into the F&E tank below the waterline.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. joni os

joni os Plumber

Air lock on bend creating venting and filling problems, if pump on high point of system trapped air could cause noisy pump and early failure.

• Like Like x 1
  4. oldplumber john

have 12 rads on the system , 3 not working properly so I repiped the cold feed and vent too close couple 150mm behind the pump that is fitted to the primary flow pipe then into a threeport valve , when I fired up the system the vent and the coldfeed got hot ,I was wondering if the dipped vent into the F&E might have caused this heat up ? . it's an old system and i'm wondering now if there might be a sludge block to these rads , the flow to these rads get's hot so far but the return is cold , the pipework is all hidden in stud work and rises high but now iv'e resited the pipework it should push any air do you not think ?

5. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

pipes to rads in 10mm also there should be free space between the vent and water line

• Like Like x 1
  6. joni os

joni os Plumber

Keep the vent above the water and test with a pump you know is working correctly.

• Like Like x 1
  7. GQuigley67

GQuigley67 Trusted Plumber GSR

Make sure the pump is the right way around also, pump pumping the wrong way can cause the cold feed and tank to get hot.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Millsy 82

Millsy 82 Plumber GSR

You can get gravity circulation up through the vent as in effect you have created a circuit for it to go round.

• Like Like x 2
  9. oldplumber john

Thank you all for your advice it's been of great use to me and has stirred the old grey memory bank

10. Simon 45

Simon 45 Member

Hi
    Is it possible the radiators may need be re balanced, someone may haved adjusted the valves without your knowledge.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016