Search the forum,

Discuss Expansion vessel on unvented system is hissing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CNelson

I have an unvented system in my home. The fitters that installed it recently came back to replace the expansion vessel as it kept hissing. They said it was a fault with the seal on the expansion vessel. Unfortunately, the new expansion vessel is still hissing.

It sound like boiled water hitting a cold surface, with some gurgling sounds. But predominantly hissing.

When I put the heating thermostat up high for any length of time then switch it off, that's when the hissing happens.

The tundish is dry.

However, the pipe from the expansion vessel to the tundish feels hot.

Can anyone advise about this problem?

Thanks very much.

-CP

I assume you checked they were g3/unvented qualified?

There's nothing you can do on this.

Check that they do have g3 and get them back. If they don't then demand someone who is as they are placing your lives in jeopardy.

Here's a picture. The expansion vessel is a zilmet.

IMG_5107.JPG

I don't think you could distinguish anyone particular noise in that area, there are so many elbows and the pump is so near there will be lots of noise that sounds like a snake, the whole plumbing job is a complete mess, pump impossible to get at , electrics hanging lose on a board, wish you hadn't sent the photo now, there is just one item there that makes me shudder, two 15 mm couplings(sockets) within 6" of each other, what has the world come to!!! Its been throw in, the plumber needs to go to Specsavers, sorry I can't help it, it's a very low standard. I can't see any pressure gauge for charging???

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think you could distinguish anyone particular noise in that area, there are so many elbows and the pump is so near there will be lots of noise that sounds like a snake, the whole plumbing job is a complete mess, pump impossible to get at , electrics hanging lose on a board, wish you hadn't sent the photo now, there is just one item there that makes me shudder, two 15 mm couplings(sockets) within 6" of each other, what has the world come to!!! Its been throw in, the plumber needs to go to Specsavers, sorry I can't help it, it's a very low standard. I can't see any pressure gauge for charging???

I can see the guage. Its connected to the prv below the exp vessel.

Looking at the pic its probably the air release valve

Its a bubble top so problem is with the red vessel on the sealed heating system, get them back to set the the vessel charge to that of the static head pressure / cold fill.

P.S. Two couplings on a 15mm safety valve discharge, the end of the world is here !!!

So that's the expansion vessel for the heating system then?
Probably the Air eliminator as said before :)

An engineer came to take a look at it today and heard the noise. The expansion tank is a bit too big for the system, it is currently 18L. It needs a smaller one.

thanks for the responses.

An engineer came to take a look at it today and heard the noise. The expansion tank is a bit too big for the system, it is currently 18L. It needs a smaller one.

Rubbish! I've never heard of issues with a slightly (which yours is) oversized expansion vessel. Undersized, yes. Oversized, never!

Bet the vessel pressure was incorrectly set!

It does not need a smaller one !!!! You can not over size an expansion vessel, trust me. It is the charge pressure that is wrong.

Rubbish! I've never heard of issues with a slightly (which yours is) oversized expansion vessel. Undersized, yes. Oversized, never!

Bet the vessel pressure was incorrectly set!

I thought I was going nuts. Thinking how come I have never heard this before. Thanks for clearing it up crops

Simon me too:30: smaller smaller smaller my eye!!!!

If you want to go over 100 Deg C you may need a bit more pressure, but not on a domestic, OP will be back next week under another name, Title "My Safety Valve is leaking water"

Last edited by a moderator:
Toshville:banghead: my career is in tatters, I have just wasted the last 50 years of my life, dress making for me now

Nelson, do you get the distinct impression that your man has just opened a can of snakes, how long did it take him to come to the conclusion it was too big ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Expansion vessel on unvented system is hissing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock