Search the forum,

Discuss External Pipe - what purpose and is replacement necessary? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

During November we have to replace a corroded cast soil pipe on the exterior wall of the 1st and 2nd floors of our 1930’s building. Fine.
However, it also has a smaller diameter pipe running beside it up the full height.
It appears out of the wall, level with the first floor toilet, runs up the wall, does not vent to the atmosphere, before joining into the soil pipe at second floor level. The soil pipe itself vents higher up above the flat roof.
  • What function does the narrower pipe fulfil?
  • Is it necessary to replace it as well as the soil pipe?
  • Or just remove it or close it off?
Thanks for any input.
Rgds, Andy

Attachments

• IMG_1266.jpeg
    IMG_1266.jpeg
    960.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1270.jpeg
    IMG_1270.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1261.jpeg
    IMG_1261.jpeg
    1,001.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1259.jpeg
    IMG_1259.jpeg
    975.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1260.jpeg
    IMG_1260.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
It's a dual vent system used in commercial buildings or large houses where many sanitary appliances are fitted to one soil pipe and the end of the pipe is vented with a smaller pipe back into the stack.
They tend to go in just above the highest junction, not almost at the roof as yours does.
There was almost certainly a reason it was done that way.

There's a few variations, one example below borrowed from H Group Services, but probably not their picture.

bs8.png

Last edited:
It's a dual vent system used in commercial buildings or large houses where many sanitary appliances are fitted to one soil pipe and the end of the pipe is vented with a smaller pipe back into the stack.
They tend to go in just above the highest junction, not almost at the roof as yours does.
There was almost certainly a reason it was done that way.

There's a few variations, one example below borrowed from H Group Services, but probably not their picture.

View attachment 85459
Thanks Snowhead for your time, explanation, and diagram to illustrate even though only 2 basins and 2 WCs are connected in our case. Going the extra mile.

Snowhead is quite right with the drawing and comments. I was looking at the exit position of the vent and the single outlet (4") I can see at high level as well as the single outlet (4") at low level nearer the vent pipe. From this I made the assumption that you had a WC inside upstairs with a separate bath/shower waste as well as a separate basin waste into that hopper and one WC downstairs with a wash basin and a kitchen in the next room with wastes into a gully.

Obviously I haven't seen the internal plumbing so I do not know what is inside or where the vent connects. I think it would be unusual to have 4" lead or cast inside a domestic property, connecting a row of WC's. They would normally exit behind the WC and be joined together externally as on the drawing Snowhead posted.

What do you have inside that is connected to the 4" soil at high level and at low level?

Sometimes these vent pipes were installed unnecessarily but it is best to check. Apologies for being presumptuous.

Reply to External Pipe - what purpose and is replacement necessary? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock