Discuss Extra Water Cylinder to connect. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

antdad1969

As a temporary measure I want to install an extra hot water cylinder in the loft for greater pressure and overall capacity. This secondary cylinder is to be heated by 2 X 3kw elements. Are there any issues with hooking up to the primary cylinder HW outlet? and what precautions should I take with this extra electrical load?

there would b alot of issue s with such a set up.
has some one put this idea in your head or is it your own suggestion?
this could b tricky ,water pressures competing,reverse circulation,
controls????????
extra electrodes would draw alot of amp$$
i'm irish , but would imagine this type of set up is against brittish standards[regs]personnally have nt done such a set up, sounds a bit odd,but i m open to correction from the more experienced lads here .
be safe buddy,the house system will win the arguement when things go wrong.

i agree with buffy on this one. and how long is a temporary installation then? have you seen the price of new cylinders???? thats alot of money to spend on a temporary installation that would cause more problems than solve.

if you want abit more pressure just raise your tank. little bit of pipe n timber is all you'd need

An extra cylinder in the loft? Is it tank fed? it won't work! Is it mains fed? do you have an unvented certificate? Will the floor support the extra weight? Are the cylinders on the same level? Are the tanks that feed the conjoined cylinders on the same level? One will overflow into the other! Too many variables and doomed for Failure

an extra cylinder will increase volume of water avaliable to heat,but will never increase pressure without works to tanks etc, i would take the advice of the lads on this forum and stay clear!
if you want pressure its quite simple, do the job once put in a mega the cost of a temp cylinder would be a good portion of the mega,
somethings are just to complicated to really bother with

Let me explain the idea...

I have a modest 3 bed semi with a tiny bathroom, to increase the size of bathroom I would like to get rid of airing cupboard and therefore hot water cylinder and move everything into the loft. Easy enough you might say.
Everything bolted to the dividing wall and supported properly.

My idea as I already have the spare cylinder and expansion tank was to set it up independently and just hook it up to the existing feed. The reason for doing this was reduce disruption to the household when I undertake the major works. Just one less thing to do thats all. I thought it was a simple idea but there might have been an issue as to where infact I connected the feed. I can just as easily disconnect the primary cylinder but I thought I may have been able to utilize both. As a contributor has said there will maybe competing pressures so maybe not such a good idea.
My question really is where should I connect the feed to avoid this?

mate ,take some advice please, no offence intended.
u don t know what u are talking about.so don t chance it . get in a plumber .u come on here looking for advice- that is mine. if u understood plumbing u would not ask and say the things u are saying about installing this system.[primary cylinder??? etc.]no bxxx sxxx,just talking straight to u .
the lads here are great help for regular d i y ers-doing simple jobs.
what u are asking is not simple and not a d i y job.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Your right mate...blimey no offence taken this question just wasn't up your street.

Just thought a few plumbers around here might know something about zone valves and stats...my mistake.

Your not mistaken,, they do. Buff has politely hinted that you might need to step back and have a think about it, sound advice.

Your right mate...blimey no offence taken this question just wasn't up your street.

Just thought a few plumbers around here might know something about zone valves and stats...my mistake.
i know pretty much all there is to know about zone valves and stats,[not complicated] ,putting that aside i can only say that , no plumber on here can help u .simple reason is that we don t get the logic in what u are trying to do.i will stress again that i would love to help u but would have to question my inadequate 5 yr plumbing experience for a system such as the one u are doing.sry can t help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Extra Water Cylinder to connect. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock