Discuss Fast track courses worth it? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joe Shmoe

Hi gents,

Having lost my job in an industry I no longer want to work in, I am doing my research as to whether plumbing could be an option for the future.

I used to work as a photographic set builder and have done quite a bit of renovation work on my house, so have quite a few tools and am handy in building etc. I have fit a couple of sinks and kitchen taps, and replaced two bathroom suites for family which I enjoyed, so I am confident of doing the basics. All the work turned out good, but I have no idea of what I am doing, other than applying logic to what I am trying to achive and watching YouTube videos for training.

If I am to make a proper career, I want to get training so I can do the whole hog, that includes central heating systems and boiler fitting etc.

My question is, if I was to do the OLCI 'traing to be a plumber course' followed by the Advanced course which teaches boilers and central heating, would I be in a position to set-up as a self-employed plumber, or would I still need additional training, or real-life experience etc?

I want to do things the best way possible, but don't want to invest money and not come out fully trained for what I want to do at the end of it.

I do have the advantage of being used to building, and can plaster, tile and build to reasonable standard, so I am not a total novice, but I have no plumbing experience other than a few baths and sinks and some basic copper pipe work.

Any pointers from seasoned plumbers or those who have taken the OLCI courses would be much appreciated.

Regards
Joe.

Go for it mate, if you think you can do it.

But first methinks you should introduce yourself to the search function on the forum and find out just how bad an idea it is.

Also have a go on the search function for olci.... you may change your mind.

If you do go for it, then when you first start out remember to know your limitations... it can be very easy to get out of your depth in this game, if you are not used to it

If you do go for it, then when you first start out remember to know your limitations... it can be very easy to get out of your depth in this game, if you are not used to it

Good advice, I get out of depth occasionally but luckily I have a team of colleagues to call on for advice!

Welcome Joe, Agree with SimonG on this one. The plumbing industry is overflowing (pardon the pun) at the moment and blokes who have been in the game for years find it a struggle. I would say do your homework on the risk and return of entering the world of plumbing, but wish you luck in whatever you decide to do.

Welcome to the forums Joe. I agree with both Simon and Nicro on this. This industry is rapidly reaching saturation point as did the IT industry 10-12 year ago.

Established plumbers are struggling. These fast track courses only exist for one purpose. And, to be blunt, it ain't to turn out more plumbers into the industry. It's to line their own pockets!

The best way to become wealthy these days is to become a training provider!

Fast track is only any use if you are already emloyed, and your boss wants you to have the papers for whatever reason. You won't learn much on the course.

They are what they are. A little expensive for what you learn and not a substitute for time on the tools.

If you want an 'in' to the industry I think this is the easiest route. Sadly.

Quite interesting to compare today's responses with those made back in 2008...

http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/plumbing-courses/242-olci-training.html

One of Britain's long-standing problems (one of many) is that over the past 30 years the majority of employers in most fields have shown little interest in training people - they want to employ staff who come through their doors ready to get on with the job.

Now of course things are even more that way because employers can cherry-pick from a growing pool of unemployed people with established skills.

The Germans put more value on training and have done so much better than Britain over the past 30 years.

In Britain the issue of training is a hot-potato that has been thrown back and forth between various Governments and the private sector.

its a fair point that people are being realistic about work but we cant forget that some plumbers are employed and do get jobs out there. im lucky enough to be in work at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fast track courses worth it? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back