Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Faulty PN16 Gate Valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Foston

I have a PN16 Gate Valve that turns but does not stop. i.e. it simply keeps turning. Is it possible to replace the centre screw mechanism [even if I need to buy a complete valve to obtain the spare part] or will I need to replace the whole valve. The question arises because I cannot see how to easily cut off the supply of water to the pipe [cold] and I thought that freezing the pipe may be an option, in which case changing only the centre of the valve seems a possible safe solution.

Can you not just go into the loft and bung the tank?

I've only tried to swap the innards live once, it didn't end well.

the whole valve and whats it on cold mains ?

I cannot see how to easily cut off the supply of water to the pipe [cold] and I thought that freezing the pipe may be an option...

Have you got a pipe freezing kit!? Can a plumber make it easy for you!?

You'd have to buy exactly the same make / model and the designs sometimes change over the years so it's not a guarantee it would fit.

Change it for a lever valve.

Used to refurb gate valves, big ones and to do it properly you have to grind the 4 faces to remove any pits, know your working to a smaller scale but the problem is still the same so changing the inners on there own will have limited effect.

valve is knackered, sheared spindle, just get it replaced - refurbining the spindle is a waste of time on an old domestic gate valve

valve is knackered, sheared spindle, just get it replaced - refurbining the spindle is a waste of time on an old domestic gate valve

Agree, welding and metal spraying a shaft that size is just not worth the effort, time for a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Faulty PN16 Gate Valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock