Discuss Fernox TF1 Fitting in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chris_B

Hello,

I am going to fit the Fernox TF1 filter to a relatives C.H. system tomorrow, I understand that I have to fit this to the return pipe on the C.H.

I think the C.H. pipes on the boiler are 15mm, but the Fernox TF1 comes in either 22mm or 28mm isolation valve fitments.

Now, this does seem obvious, but when I fit this, I will need a reducer coupling, from 22mm to 15mm to adapt to the existing pipes. but I am still unsure as I think the standard size for C.H. pipes are 22mm.

The isolation valves on the Fernox TF1 are stamped '22mm' on them but the valves are not full bore, as they look reduced.

Is 22mm the size of the valve pipe or the copper pipe that it fits?

Any help with my confusion much appreciated

Chris

the 22mm is the pipe outer diameter or the fitting inside diameter, same thing.
pipes only 15mm from boiler??? are you looking at the flow and return???
how many radiators? doesn't sound right??
having said that, if the pipes are 15mm just fit a reducing olive set to the tf1 valve

and yes you are right it should be fitted to the return if possible.
make sure you get the flow direction right, the newer TF1's are easier to adjust,
if its older you need to make sure to fit the right spacer depending which way the unit is fitted.

reducing olive set :- Reducing Set 22 - 15mm | NoLinkingToThis

Admittedly I Haven't looked close enough, but the boiler is in a garage attached to the property, and the pipes are lagged with wool type pipe insulation, I could be wrong though.

The property has 11 Rads on a Potterton Performa 28 boiler.

But am I right in thinking that all C.H. pipes going to and from the boiler are standard 22mm? and the pipes going from the main circulation pipes to the rads are 15mm?

Thank you please

what should be and what is, are not necessarily the same.
pipes to rads can be 8mm, 10mm, 15mm etc

flow and return to boiler should be at least 22mm

Stand in front of the boiler with the heating off, turn on the heating and the flow will heat up right away, after a few minutes the heat will circulate back through the return, so you can identify them that way, as it's a combi you can then run the hot water and identify that pipe as well, heating should be 22mm, water should be 15mm, also identify the gas ( should be 22mm, could be 15mm) there should be a yellow valve on the gas where it enters the boiler

Just bought the TF1 today,

The C.H. pipes to and from the boiler are 22mm. They were covered in a wool type lagging. Thats why I wrongly assumed they were 15mm. So that's all good.

I have to modify the pipework and route the pipework up a bit so the TF1 has clearance from the floor and so that its away from the other pipes.

Got the TF1 for £87.99 which was a good deal.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fernox TF1 Fitting in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I have a troublesome fixed 15mm copper pipe with isolation valve going to my toilet fill valve. It's too tight for a Flexi hose. Can I use...
Replies
Views
… praying to the plumbing God, Bob Pictures and layout details attached, so be patient. 21 year old oil fired system in pretty good nick. I...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm considering fitting an isolator valve to 15mm feed to my toliet cistern. It would require cutting off an existing compression fitting...
Replies
Views
Where and how does the water supply work and is there only one rising main pipe and where is it usually located? I am top floor flat, mains fed...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am probably being unduly paranoid here but I noticed under our kitchen sink that there is some corrosion evident on a small section of...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock