Discuss Fernox Tf1 total filter reversed flow in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I haven't read all post but from the pictures it looks like a decent enough install.
Cant the valves be isolated and the body rotated on the TF1?
I'm shocked that you and others feel this is a decent install frankly, although I appreciate it's hard to get a full impression from the photos.
Question, do others feel it's good practice to make soldered joints without deburring or cleaning the copper because I don't, and I've been soldering for nearly 50 years.
I'm shocked also that with the TF1 being so and well known in the trade & commonly used that you don't know the body must remain vertical, the boss/hub can be re-oriented but that should only be carried out by a recognised tradesman and is less than optimal. There were zero difficulties in fitting it correctly and if the engineer had actually known how to install an anti thermosiphon loop then I wouldn't have had to even mention it, let alone give instructions on how to fashion one. Just like I shouldn't have to question or inspect the work of a trained and licensed professional on fitting a TF1 filter.

I think it looked closer than it was. Ignore me
No problem, when viewed from the rear yard, it's leaning noticeably sideways to the right, when viewed from the side view, it's leaning significantly towards the back yard.... Away from the window where I took the photo, he struggled to get the flashing far enough up the roof to get it vertical because of 'nails' so he cut a square section out of the back corner of it to clear the nails. A bodge.

I'm going to be honest here, I've googled anti thermosiphon loop and still non the wiser as to what it actually is :oops:

I'll also be honest and it sickens me to say but I don't always debur my copper prior to soldering :eek: but I do always clean it.

And as for the pictures, as mentioned they don't really give us the whole picture as to what's wrong, we can't see any of the faults you mention so we can't comment, the only thing we can see is the filter, which can be taken off and you can flip the orientation of it, perfectly acceptable to do so, so not sure why you say it's not optimal.

I'm shocked that you and others feel this is a decent install frankly, although I appreciate it's hard to get a full impression from the photos.
Question, do others feel it's good practice to make soldered joints without deburring or cleaning the copper because I don't, and I've been soldering for nearly 50 years.
I'm shocked also that with the TF1 being so and well known in the trade & commonly used that you don't know the body must remain vertical, the boss/hub can be re-oriented but that should only be carried out by a recognised tradesman and is less than optimal. There were zero difficulties in fitting it correctly and if the engineer had actually known how to install an anti thermosiphon loop then I wouldn't have had to even mention it, let alone give instructions on how to fashion one. Just like I shouldn't have to question or inspect the work of a trained and licensed professional on fitting a TF1 filter.
Reel it in a bit mate. We are trying to help. For free I might add. Trust us, based on some shockers we see this isn’t anywhere close to the worst. That is not however saying that this is acceptable. Obviously not a confident solderer as there’s no need to use Yorkshire’s where he has. The big thing here is the lack of commissioning documentation which I’d be reporting him for. And also I think my colleague was alluding to the TF1 having it’s attaching body rotated not the cylinder itself so please don’t take us for simpletans. Ps quoting thermosiphons and the like are all very well but are rarely necessary. It’s starting to sound more and more like you have looked over this blokes shoulder throughout to be honest if you did that to me I’d be rushing to get out the door. Furthermore, because you can solder does not make you able to pipesize, or system design, you may be able to but it’s inconsequential you’ve employed this guy to do a job. My advice. Stop worrying, get gas safe in for a free assessment, get put right whatever they pick up and move on. Life is too short. This started off friendly let’s keep it that way eh?

Last edited:
I'm going to be honest here, I've googled anti thermosiphon loop and still non the wiser as to what it actually is :oops:

I'll also be honest and it sickens me to say but I don't always debur my copper prior to soldering :eek: but I do always clean it.

And as for the pictures, as mentioned they don't really give us the whole picture as to what's wrong, we can't see any of the faults you mention so we can't comment, the only thing we can see is the filter, which can be taken off and you can flip the orientation of it, perfectly acceptable to do so, so not sure why you say it's not optimal.
Hi Craig, Anti thermosiphon loop is an old school technique to prevent gravitational flow of heated water from rising.
In the case of Intergas boilers, they have a dual back to back hex for heating and hot water and no divertor valve (I think ferolli have similar in their Modena) during hw call, the pump is not powered but water in the heating circuit can thermosiphon through to rads if not checked. Check valves can be used to prevent this in upwards flowing pipework but sending flow pipe downwards for a short distance then looping back upwards also prevents the thermosiphon effect since hot water will not happily follow a downward path. It works and is failure free, no moving parts, the only thing to remember is to include a drain off. It's also used in solar collectors.

Hi Craig, Anti thermosiphon loop is an old school technique to prevent gravitational flow of heated water from rising.
In the case of Intergas boilers, they have a dual back to back hex for heating and hot water and no divertor valve (I think ferolli have similar in their Modena) during hw call, the pump is not powered but water in the heating circuit can thermosiphon through to rads if not checked. Check valves can be used to prevent this in upwards flowing pipework but sending flow pipe downwards for a short distance then looping back upwards also prevents the thermosiphon effect since hot water will not happily follow a downward path. It works and is failure free, no moving parts, the only thing to remember is to include a drain off. It's also used in solar collectors.
Thanks for the info, always good to learn something new

Reel it in a bit mate. We are trying to help. For free I might add. Trust us, based on some shockers we see this isn’t anywhere close to the worst. That is not however saying that this is acceptable. Obviously not a confident solderer as there’s no need to use Yorkshire’s where he has. The big thing here is the lack of commissioning documentation which I’d be reporting him for. And also I think my colleague was alluding to the TF1 having it’s attaching body rotated not the cylinder itself so please don’t take us for simpletans. Ps quoting thermosiphons and the like are all very well but are rarely necessary. It’s starting to sound more and more like you have looked over this blokes shoulder throughout to be honest if you did that to me I’d be rushing to get out the door. Furthermore, because you can solder does not make you able to pipesize, or system design, you may be able to but it’s inconsequential you’ve employed this guy to do a job. My advice. Stop worrying, get gas safe in for a free assessment, get put right whatever they pick up and move on. Life is too short. This started off friendly let’s keep it that way eh?
Riley, I appreciate the help and not intentionally being awkward or disrespectful. I certainly didn't stand over his shoulder but I did observe of course, I thought his methods might have been worth learning..... I like to learn, always have even at nearly 60, still like to learn. Perhaps if I had checked him along the way, I might not have ended up with such a dogs breakfast and perhaps if he'd taken offense and walked off the job, I'd have been better off. I had higher expectations but perhaps my expectations are too high. I don't know but if I've offended then I apologise regardless. I'm most certainly going to take yours and others advice.
And as I write this, I seem to smell a little gas.... Better go check.... Goodnight and many thanks.

It's actually not called gravitational flow but I forget the correct terminology.... Lol

Reply to Fernox Tf1 total filter reversed flow in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock