Discuss First Job in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I'm going to look at a job on Thursday but I wanted to run it past you first.

They're friends of my girlfriend and have said they've already had a plumber out who stated he couldn't fix it as he'd end up cracking the granite worktop.

The tap body is loose, the whole tap turns. I'm thinking the backnut needs tightening. It's quite a large backnut and apparently it's almost impossible to get to.

As a bid to start off with small jobs, I'm determined to have a go (within reason - reason being I'm not going to damage the worktop).

I'm thinking, even if I cut away a little more of the wood on the right to get some pump pliers in there to grip the nut, could I not, in small increments, turn the tap body and tighten it that way? Returning the tap body to the original position after each small turn. I'm assuming they're flexi's at the end of the tails, if not I'd have to isolate the water and disconnect the tails to do this.

What do you think?

As I can't upload images at the moment, here are a couple of links:

2lj6gsp.jpg

s10t9x.jpg

Yeh just the nut that needs tightning but the plumber that says cant fix obviously cant think for himself either. Youl have to use one of the plastic triangle spacers and that will allow you to spread the pressure being put on granite. I see theres ply there already but if theyd cut a neeter hole and not made it bigger than tap nut it wouldve helped. Yoyl have to remove enough ply so the spacer will fit it as not enough length on tap threads. I cant remember the name if the plastic spacer. Maybe tap spacer....if spacer is too thick then maybe a home made lead washer will sufice mate... good luck

Do you have the big tap spanner ( the big socket one) this can only be used if pipes are cut then re coupled. Or just use the doofer with 22mm jaw (back nut spanner) maybe doofer is scottish word for the tool im not sure...

Once you do that jay youl show your friends that your the man to call and not the other plumber and theyl tell there friends so on and so forth. Best thing ever in business is word of mouth..

Do you have the big tap spanner ( the big socket one) this can only be used if pipes are cut then re coupled. Or just use the doofer with 22mm jaw (back nut spanner) maybe doofer is scottish word for the tool im not sure...

I have an adjustable basin wrench, box spanners up to 22mm, mole grips, adjustables and pump pliers. I'm assuming the only usable tool in this scenario are the pump pliers as the backnut looks too big for the others?

You do get a spanner that looks like a big socket that fits that nut but to use it the pipes would need disconnecting. Also the ply wood is slightly in your way but me personally id cut a little bit of ply out with my multitool and make up a lead washer and place it onto the underside of granite then tighten nut back up... sometimes the 22mm jaw can just take a grip of the nut corners...

You do get a spanner that looks like a big socket that fits that nut but to use it the pipes would need disconnecting. Also the ply wood is slightly in your way but me personally id cut a little bit of ply out with my multitool and make up a lead washer and place it onto the underside of granite then tighten nut back up... sometimes the 22mm jaw can just take a grip of the nut corners...

Yup. Will see if I can make something from my washer kit ;)
Cheers Kris, much appreciated.

No worrys jay good luck im sure youl manage... might have sore neck when finished......

No worrys jay good luck im sure youl manage... might have sore neck when finished......

I'm sure a sore neck is worth the word of mouth ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to First Job in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have read a few threads including one by Debbie Stano that were similar to my issue but that thread stopped a while back without any resolution...
Replies
Views
Hello I want to replace the old single panel rad in the bedroom with a K2 double panel Stelrad one. I think I'm OK in general and relatively...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I moved into a new build three bedroom, two bathroom bungalow about 2.5 years ago. Ever since we moved in there has been an issue...
Replies
Views
So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock