Search the forum,

Discuss First time fitting a cold water tank tomorrow. Some questions in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi guys

Fitting a 25 cold water tank tomorrow, taking out an old metal tank which looks as thought it is insulated with slabs of straw/hay. She had a leak in the loft last week, i went to investigate, obvious signs of water in the loft, metal tank with lots of rust inside and out. Time for a new tank.

The tank has 2 22mm outlets coming out next to each other, the overflow and then the cold in.

Is there specific measurement where i need to drill the holes for the outlets? what about the inlet?

It might sound stupid to ask but i'd rather get it right first time than get sent back to re-do it.

Thanks

Keep the outlets as far as possible away from each other. If it is a tank with segments (most are) then use one outlet to one segment. Don't drill them near corners. Keep the outlet for hot tank above the height of the cold outlet so that hot will stop flowing first in the event of a drained cwt.
Put the ball valve to opposite side of outlets if possible - to suit any possible shower pump MIs.
Drill ball valve hole to suit tank support plate and keep overflow about same level or slightly lower.
Use lever valves if you are replacing valves.

Last edited:
As Best say's make sure it's well supported and fit the bye law kit that should be supplied with it......regards Turnpin:)

if the hot water cylinder is old,
be careful with the cold feed pipe to it. easy to tear the tapping seal if its gone thin.

Dont forget about the base of the tank, well supported not chipboard extended out past the tank by 150mm all the way round
Part 2 ball valve not part 1
25mm minimum from the bottom of the tank for cold water and hot water outlet 25mm above cold water outlet
FOV needs to be 50mm down from top of tank
Then overflow 25mm lover than fov
And water level 25mm lower than overflow well I should say warning pipe
350mm clearance from top of tank for maintenance
Primary outlet should be opposite side from inlet and secondary away from primary outlet

I like doing them as most customers leave you alone when you're in the loft.

or forget about you had one turn the light off and close the loft hatch (ladder type) :D

or forget about you had one turn the light off and close the loft hatch (ladder type) :D

If I was left in a loft with the light turned out and the hatch shut i'd jump straight threw the ceiling and be like remember me!!!

If I was left in a loft with the light turned out and the hatch shut i'd jump straight threw the ceiling and be like remember me!!!

heres johnny

take a peice of ply, place on top of metal tank.
extend pipes then sit new tank on ply and plumb up.

they wont ask you to remove old tank into yard then.lol

Put the overflow above the cold feed inlet & not below it ;)

overflow should be 1 1/2 times inlet pipe diameter below fill valve so roughly an inch lower
fill valve should be opposite end to at least one of the outlets best to get push fit tank cons they never leak

Dont forget about the base of the tank, well supported not chipboard extended out past the tank by 150mm all the way round
Part 2 ball valve not part 1
25mm minimum from the bottom of the tank for cold water and hot water outlet 25mm above cold water outlet
FOV needs to be 50mm down from top of tank
Then overflow 25mm lover than fov
And water level 25mm lower than overflow well I should say warning pipe
350mm clearance from top of tank for maintenance
Primary outlet should be opposite side from inlet and secondary away from primary outlet
You quoting this from the c&g book by any chance??? ;)

All went ok, thanks for the advice. Getting the old tank out was a bit of a pig. Was an old metal one that had 1951 printed on the side. Luckily she had 2 guys working there repairing her porch who she made help me get it out. I had to take the loft ladder off and there was a beam running above the loft hatch. No space in the loft to leave it either.

New tank went in ok, bit of re-jigging on the pipe work, probably not a work of art but it was correct. £10 tip too. Done ok for tips recently probably had about £90 in 2 weeks.

I need to speak to my boss as I've had 3 offers now but refused them due to them being rented tenants and big contracts.. Just didn't feel right at the time but now I'll happily take what I can get

I need to speak to my boss as I've had 3 offers now but refused them due to them being rented tenants and big contracts.. Just didn't feel right at the time but now I'll happily take what I can get

What`s there to speak about, a tip is a tip and you are doing the work not your boss.

What`s there to speak about, a tip is a tip and you are doing the work not your boss.
Dunno, I just think if the tenant tells the estate agent who then tells my boss it kinda makes me look bad so I'd rather have the conversation first than at least I can feel good about taking money from people

Dunno, I just think if the tenant tells the estate agent who then tells my boss it kinda makes me look bad so I'd rather have the conversation first than at least I can feel good about taking money from people

Fair enough but as long as you don`t entice the customer for a tip by holding your hand out and coughing then you`ve done nothing wrong.

Fair enough but as long as you don`t entice the customer for a tip by holding your hand out and coughing then you`ve done nothing wrong.
Yeah I hear you..

I probably average £30 - 80 per month, always say No your alright thanks first then accept it when they insist which they always do.

I probably average £30 - 80 per month, always say No your alright thanks first then accept it when they insist which they always do.
Oh the old Well if your sure trick .....lol they really are greatful for you getting them out of the s***
So take the money and run I know I would.....regards Turnpin:sifone:

Had a guy last week who was scavenging for pound coins round his living room so he could give me a tenner tip as he'd only drawn out the quoted price. I stopped him at 7 quid as it was getting embarrassing ;)

I do the same, refuse & then take it. Not many people top me, mostly older people.
I had a young couple tip me £40 cos I went back at 7am in my own time to finish a job for them.. Like an idiot I said I couldn't accept it ... (They weren't in at the time and just left in with a not for me).

Wish I bloody took it now

Had a guy last week who was scavenging for pound coins round his living room so he could give me a tenner tip as he'd only drawn out the quoted price. I stopped him at 7 quid as it was getting embarrassing ;)

I would of left him looking and put my tools in the van and then gone back in myself, £3 is a pint, well almost. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to First time fitting a cold water tank tomorrow. Some questions in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock