Discuss Fittings for stainless cylinder in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I am installing a stainless cylinder to be used as a central heating buffer that looks to have 1" female tapered fittings. I was going to thread in brass fittings, but was thinking about galvanic corrosion since dissimilar metals are involved. The water will have inhibitor. The tank is duplex 2304.

Am I correct that brass will be fine? or are there better options? I normally use hemp and pipe dope on all thread-seal fittings, is that a recommended method with stainless?

Brass compression fittings will be fine

Without being too pedantic, brass to stainless grades 301 to 310 is ok - but not grade 401 et al. If you are going from stainless to brass to copper use brass not copper olives. Stainless ( 300 group) will react if in direct contact with copper.

Saw corrosion today on a copper pipe connected to a chromium plated pipe through a plastic fitting. Presumably that was the salts in the hard water! Not serious, but I was surprised

Reply to Fittings for stainless cylinder in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Where the black polyethelene service line enters this particular structure is by far the most freeze-prone area. The structure is an elevated...
Replies
Views
In short: Do suppliers sometimes list BSPT as BSP? I need a tee, 22mm each end with a BSPT in the middle for an expansion vessel to dangle from...
Replies
Views
Here is a pic of a fitting on a duplex stainless buffer cylinder. The thread looks to be 1" BSPP. Any idea of the best way to connect to this...
Replies
Views
I have a vintage tank with a tapered brass fitting fixed in. A new mating fitting is required. The thread is 7/8" max with 26 tpi and it is...
Replies
Views
Happy Christmas everyone, We’ve just had a new Gledhill Stainless Lite indirect unvented cylinder installed by Dyno. It is making an alarmingly...
Replies
Views
Back