Search the forum,

Discuss Flourescent dye detection in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in desperate need of advice, from a female who knows nil about plumbing but is learning fast following a huge amount of water discovered under my home! There was absolutely no indication of any of this going on in my home until laminate recently lifted in corner of my home! floor boards have seriously rotted, and a few joists disintegrated following what must be years of underlying water under the house!

Green lumo dye has been put through my gully which leads to my inspection chamber- I have discovered a few days later a dull green under the house ( I as sumping water out of my house and started noticing a green color to It so I have stopped sumping )

can anyone tell me if the bright green lumo does lose it's luminocity over time? days? I have tried googling to get own advice but it is proving difficult. if I shine a torch under the house the green does not show wellbut when I sump I can notice a slight green color in the flow of the water.

Yes use another colour like red or white. When you say gulley what exactly do you mean and who is doing the dye work?

Have always traced within hours so cannot comment on loss of colour over days. Suggest dye is flushed down WC and sink. If leakage from either is cause of problem then result should be immediately apparent. An absence of smell would indicate source to be rain water rather than foul drains. Wet rot is easily cured but if you detect a musty smell or a fruiting mushroom type body, seek expert advice because dealing with dry rot requires special measures. All new joists should be treated timber resting on DPC. and it is often simpler to lay new joists alongside existing, having cut away rotting section rather than splice and extend existing joists. This is especially true of old buildings where joists rest on sleeper walls at 4 foot centres.

Anyone tried a camera yet? Could be tree roots through a pipe.

We had this in one of our fifties bungalows a few years ago, it was an undetected leak from the washing machine, we only found it when the machine fell through the suspended floor. We had a few inches of standing water on the whole slab. It took 9 months to dry out, lift all the floors in every room to clear the mould and replace all the rotten joists and floors in the kitchen. The insurers More Than where brilliant. We still get the occasional whiff of mould though.

I assume the Gulley the dye was put down is from the Kitchen, sink washer etc.?

And goes to an inspection chamber nearby?

Or does the outlet pass under the house to a chamber on the other side?

It's most likely the gulley has collapsed at the bottom and needs replacing, particularly if it's earthenware.

Does it look something like this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcENspLLeeU

If so it probably needs one of these;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTNdIuiXYZw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flourescent dye detection in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper end of DIY and I've a couple of house renovations under my belt (my own homes) I am retired but do volunteer handyman jobs for the elderly. Not...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock