Discuss flue analysis ..is it servicing? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

If the customer is asking for a Boiler service then that's what they'll expect, regardless of any FGA readings, strip down as per M.I's

If your employed by someone offering annual checks as part of a comprehensive maintenance contract and their instruction to you is not to strip if the FGA results are within a particular limit, then that's what you'd do.

But if that was me I wouldn't be putting anything down about the boiler being serviced, only that it was within acceptable limits.

If you're employed by someone who wants a high, fixed number of services done per day, get another job.

I'm glad I only ever did commercial and didn't fall into this got to do a fixed number of Domestic boilers lark.

Thank you Sam. Reading and passing it and practically doing it as a profession are 2 different things.You have gathered your experiences over the years.You didn't know everything about boilers the day you qualify?..You have failed in some aspects and asked questions no matter how stupid they may sound. So that is the courage people get to join a group like this. When you are taken on by a company to do 8 services/safety check a day.. it's a different ball game. Time and pressure. Little things you know before begin to disappear. You dont want to let yourself down.
Many of us who's been qualified over 10 years will still fail the exams when they take it again.
I have installed different boilers over 3.5 years but now im going around doing servicing and looking for faults. I do open boilers to check all the content involved in the exercise...but would you strip a boiler that's working fine and after all the said checks when nothing is wrong with it?
I'm just looking for clarity. In the case of ratios i have done my honework now...I'm good. Thanks

I don’t think Sam is having a go at you I think he is asking have you actually had any practical experience of using an analyser prior to going out in the wide world? The guy that I learned from was proper old school but liked the idea of the fluegas analyser and was using one from very early on when a lot of engineers were still thinking they were snake oil. I know some companies have a policy about stripping down boilers however I think a lot of guys that work for themselves would carry out what a lot of us class as a proper service based on the guidance from the manufacturers instructions. The whole reason in the first place for analysers was British Gas getting so many callbacks when their engineers were rushing and hadn’t put the boiler casings back on properly it was costing them a fortune. They worked on the basis that if the analyser readings were okay then a full strip down wasn’t necessary. You can see the merits of this however it is not what I would call thorough as we all know that some gasket seals need replacing and how would you feel if that failed six months after you’ve carried out a “service” resulting in a dead boiler when a simple strip down and gasket replacement would’ve prevented it.

If the customer is asking for a Boiler service then that's what they'll expect, regardless of any FGA readings, strip down as per M.I's

If your employed by someone offering annual checks as part of a comprehensive maintenance contract and their instruction to you is not to strip if the FGA results are within a particular limit, then that's what you'd do.

But if that was me I wouldn't be putting anything down about the boiler being serviced, only that it was within acceptable limits.

If you're employed by someone who wants a high, fixed number of services done per day, get another job.

I'm glad I only ever did commercial and didn't fall into this got to do a fixed number of Domestic boilers lark.
Snowhead, thanks very much for your response. There's great differences between gas safe checks and servicing. I'm doing gas safe checks and now understand what I'm up to. Thanks...

Reply to flue analysis ..is it servicing? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Had our gas Baxi Combi inspected and serviced today, as it has been every year. Gas safety cert issued and says all okay, but engineer gave what I...
Replies
Views
hi, I am after some advice, I recently fitted a new gas valve to a vaillant ecotec earlier. the boiler was fitted in 2015 and has been serviced...
Replies
Views
I was wondering if anyone can help with this. On servicing a two year old Vokera Unica i28 I carried out combustion analysis checks. The high...
Replies
Views
About 12 days ago attended a boiler lock out. Apparently another plumber was there a week before to and adjusted the photo cell. .. It is a grant...
Replies
Views
Hi all, came across this forum this looking for information on my sooting up kitchen type indoor Enviromax. I'm a retired electronics/maintenance...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock