Search the forum,

Discuss funny tasting / coloured water problem! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

CXR100

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
went to a house today to a compliant "water is cloudish and tastes funny , but only when we use the hot tap, the cold is fine , when we run the bath the water stinks and is always off coloured, father in law reckons its the smell of flux but we havent had any plumbing work undertaken in the house recently" i thought to start off with that it could be heating water contaminating the hot water through heat exchanger (maby a pinhole type thing) of the worcester combi (gas) . now i am not gs registered, so shoud i pass it on to another plumber or can any of you think what else it could be?? but wouldent the cold water pressure push into the heating side and blow out of the prv?? this wasnt happening and the heating pressure on the boiler was 1barthis brings me to another point, i have done gas in collage, but work wont register me under their gs , is it legal for me to top up boiler pressure or drain thru the prv if i can open it without taking boiler cover off????? sorry for the long post folks!!!!! :)

Why are they drinking hot water?

tell them to sort there lives out.

The off colour could be oxygen bubbles. Is it ran off a combi?

haha i was thinking excacly the same!!! they are afraids the kids will "drink" it in the bath!! no its defo not bubbles, this suerly would be the same in the cold taps and the houses net door would it?? this sometimes happens in our house after water board have been working on the main! yes its a combi!

haha i was thinking excacly the same!!! they are afraids the kids will "drink" it in the bath!! no its defo not bubbles, this suerly would be the same in the cold taps and the houses net door would it?? this sometimes happens in our house after water board have been working on the main! yes its a combi!
if you run a cup of th water into a pint glass and leave it settle for a few minutes and it runs clear its just the water passing through the boiler making it like that.

yes i understand this but why is it tasting funny and stinking?

CXR100 ... Is it a tap used often? I remember a post a while back and there's bacteria that can occupy hot water pipes one of the bi-products is a 'smell. from the gas they produce!!
Check out this article and maybe do a search on smelly water...? Solving rotten-egg odor in water heaters

One thing you could advise if it's a combi is run the tap real slow with the hot water stat turned onto maximum ... that'll kill off most germs I'd imagine :)

so ther is no way the heating water could contaminate the hot in a combi? no point in me rederecting the call to a boiler engineer?

so ther is no way the heating water could contaminate the hot in a combi? no point in me rederecting the call to a boiler engineer?

Not unless the system pressure was higher than the mains pressure ... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to funny tasting / coloured water problem! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few seconds! Can anyone tell me what is causing this? And how to cure?
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock