Discuss Gas bottles in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucas121

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
My boss is an old school plumber. As a result we still use the big 3.9kg calor bottles for our blow torches.

He uses these bottles because he spends roughly £15 every 6 months getting it refilled, and once you have actually carried it into the house its a lot easier to work with as your just holding the blow torch rather then a blow torch and gas bottle. (That said the hose does get irritating!)

How come everyone else uses the 400g bottles? Doesn't it work out a lot more expensive? Iv never actually used one, my boss says hes happy to pay for the refill of the 3.9kg bottles, but if I want to be using the 400g bottles at £10 a pop I have to pay myself....... Sod that!

I changed over from calor a few years ago. It takes up less space, and the flame is hotter and cleaner.
Thinking about it, I can't say it's easier. And the bottles get very cold when using in winter. I'm not changing back, but your boss is right!

easy of use and dont have to lug a 5kg up about 15 flights of stairs as well :)

Yes, your boss is right, but the Surefire & it's wee bottle are more powerful (bit too much tbh) & therefore quicker for soldering - especially damp pipes, so save gas. Tend to be safer as no hoses to leak.
I do miss the handyness of the blow lamp on a hose & I had a squeeze flame control button, which was great. But nowadays mainly wee jobs just & I don't want to carry a heavy bottle into an attic just to solder one or two fittings.
Tell your boss he must be really old. (When you want fired)

I still have my old Sievert torch and bottle in the garage, only ever gets used when we're working on 42mm or above. I only pay £6-£7 maximum for a new 400g propane anyway !!!

My boss is an old school plumber. As a result we still use the big 3.9kg calor bottles for our blow torches.

He uses these bottles because he spends roughly £15 every 6 months getting it refilled, and once you have actually carried it into the house its a lot easier to work with as your just holding the blow torch rather then a blow torch and gas bottle. (That said the hose does get irritating!)

How come everyone else uses the 400g bottles? Doesn't it work out a lot more expensive? Iv never actually used one, my boss says hes happy to pay for the refill of the 3.9kg bottles, but if I want to be using the 400g bottles at £10 a pop I have to pay myself....... Sod that!

Ive only ever had the chance to use the big 5kg bottles in college once, and 400g always on site, i'd say its a lot safer to have a few small bottles of gas than a 5kg bottle in the back bouncing round, and the 400g take up less space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas bottles in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm...
Replies
Views
H
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm...
Replies
Views
HRP123
H
Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical...
Replies
Views
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/05/12/the-heat-pump-farce-has-finally-been-exposed/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-rhr I realise not...
Replies
Views
So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by...
Replies
Views
Back