Search the forum,

Discuss Gas in flats in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

ShaunCorbs

Super Moderator
Staff member
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Solutions
Got a set of flats that I need to sort out gas for (lpg) now what are the regs / am I able to run gas piping through the floor / ceiling that isn’t going to that property eg flat

I think yes but needs to be sleeved and fire clips just doubting myself / questioning

I dont think you can run a gas supply through another property
Any future access for inspection/repair would be impossible

I dont think you can run a gas supply through another property
Any future access for inspection/repair would be impossible

How do they get around it in big developments as normally see a load of trac pipe running all over the place ? Might be a phone call to gas safe

Would make my life easier as else it’s running about 40m extra around the building

Guess they get around it by saying it’s communal areas

Can it be run in a purpose built shaft?

You mean a fire proof void or do you mean sleeved

As I was thinking about the 2” flexiable tube that either gas or trac sell

Yes you can.

But I believe it has to be ducted and only vertical.

The other week I was preparing to cut out an old gas service from a ground floor flat, as it was in the way in the larder. Had dust sheets down, the recip saw and extension set up, and the occupants told to leave the room 'cos of the sparks. Fortunately, I double checked, and found the old riser had a live yellow MDPE running through it. Only knew because I removed an elbow and old, disused GF gas ECV , thus giving me sight of the yellow.

I obviously left it but added gas ID tape

Yes you can.

But I believe it has to be ducted and only vertical.

The other week I was preparing to cut out an old gas service from a ground floor flat, as it was in the way in the larder. Had dust sheets down, the recip saw and extension set up, and the occupants told to leave the room 'cos of the sparks. Fortunately, I double checked, and found the old riser had a live yellow MDPE running through it. Only knew because I removed an elbow and old, disused GF gas ECV , thus giving me sight of the yellow.

I obviously left it but added gas ID tape

Need horizontal

Run from outside into the floor space of the above flat, then into the next flat along (the last flat )

Two flats downstairs

One up

Think about gas pipes in voids and ventilation of said void. You also need an ecv at the point the gas enters the flat. I don’t think you can run in someone else’s property. The blocks of flats I worked on years ago always went for external runs as it was cheaper than a riser. Remember all that fuss years ago about running in new build floors? I think the principle is the same, if gas could theoretically build up in a void then the void must be ventilated to prevent potential explosive build up.

Think about gas pipes in voids and ventilation of said void. You also need an ecv at the point the gas enters the flat. I don’t think you can run in someone else’s property. The blocks of flats I worked on years ago always went for external runs as it was cheaper than a riser. Remember all that fuss years ago about running in new build floors? I think the principle is the same, if gas could theoretically build up in a void then the void must be ventilated to prevent potential explosive build up.

But it would be vented via the whole sleeve

Ecv would be at meters one end and an aecv when it enters

Will ring gas safe tomorrow

Vertical gas riser as described in the regs / corgi book... however the fact I said corgi tells you its 10 years at least since I was involved in gas in flats! I too am curious to hear gas safes take on it

Got a response

Fine going vertical or horizontal across just needs to be sleeved and no joints in other property/ flat

If going through a fire wall needs to be fire stopped etc

So just normal things

Sleeved the entire length?
Eg through waste pipe?

Yes

Im using this well going to be (50mm)

Reply to Gas in flats in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock