Search the forum,

Discuss Gas pipe under floor board in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jamers

I've just had a new combi boiler fitted, along with a new supply pipe from the meter to the boiler by a GAS SAFE registered plumber. I am slightly concerned that the pipe runs next to (touching) one of the ceiling joists immediately below the floorboards (i.e. floorboards touch the pipe). At two points the pipe runs above horizontal wooden supports, enclosing the pipe on three sides between floor board, joist and wooden support. Any flexing of the floorboard will result in squashing of the pipe. Also, the floor boards have not been fitted yet so one screw in the wrong place could result in a gas leak.

Are there any regulations saying that gas pipes have to be a minimum depth below floorboards? I've had a look on the net but can't find anything, is this setup safe and within regulations?

the pipe should not be touching the floorboards the notches are not deep enough

Where the floor structure is formed with joists or floor boards, pipes should be laid between and parallel with joists,or across the underside of the joists and must be provided with proper supports.

Where this is not possible, they must be laid across the top of the joists with the joist notched to accomodate the pipe. The depth of notch should preferably NOT exceed 1/8 of the depth of the joist. The notch should be "U" shaped and not "V" shaped. The position of the notch from one end of the joist should not be further than one quater of the span of the joist from an end support.

pipes should be positioned under the centre of the floor boards, to avoid damage by nails. Pipes running parallel to walls must be located to avoid subsequent damage from carpet layer's nails.

Any floorboards damaged badly on removal, must be renewed. Raised floorboards should be screwed back into position and not nailed. Where possible pipework should follow routes between the joists thus avoiding notching.

Pipework installed between timber engineered joists or metal web joists should pass between the webs. The flanges of timber engineered or metal web joists should not be notched.

If you're are worried about a leak, get the engineer to do a tightness test once the floor goes back down.

I dont believe he is worried about a leak danny.
if the installation isnt up to regs is one point. some of the regs I/we believe are dumb and pointless. this is one of the common sense ones!
if his gas pipe is touching floorboards, floorboards move, create friction, in 20 years time, gas pipe will have a big hole in it.

the regs are there because somebody has decided that way and invented the rules.
they have to be stuck too, no matter how stupid some of them sound.

this broken reg, i would consider being riddor reportable, but generally we dont do it because, we would get riddored back, next time we forget a reg or make a mistake.

the engineer that did the installation should come back and put his poor workmanship right.

shaun

Thanks everybody for your help.

Sounds like the best course of action is to get the plumber back to improve the pipe run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas pipe under floor board in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock