Discuss gas safe and buildings control not notified of new boiler installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

faz0070

Hi all, I just had a new combi boiler installed last week. The gas fitter was registered with gas safe . I didn't check his I'D which I should have but checked his business on gas safe register and was satisfied That the business and he is registered and his photo also matched him. I am now concerned about him as he has not commissioned my boiler and filled the benchmark. He insted just signed the warranty card which I later found that it would be invalid without the benchmark!
Another problem is that he has not informed gas safe about this work so buildings control would not also know about this. I asked him once about buildings control and he laughed it off saying saying it was complete rip off for me as buildings control would charge me £480 for the certificate and that would-be a waste of time for me. I am concerned now and don't believe he is genuine . would buildings control really charge me £480 for this ? Or was he just lying to me just to get away with it ? I am already in a dispute with him. How do I sort out warranty for my new boiler ? hope you guys can guide me on this. Thanks

It would cost him £2.50 to register the install through gas safe.

He's being evasive, probably because you're in dispute with him. It's a legal requirement in England and Wales to notify new installs but the onus falls on the customer to ensure that, it isn't technically his responsibility though it's usually part of the service.
You can register it yourself with building control but it would be expensive though not to the tune of £480.

It's mandatory that he fills in the benchmark though.

Sort your differences, he's witholding your cert.

Thank you hybrid. on day of completion I asked him everything about benchmark etc and also gas safety certificate but he stated that none of those were needed as he signed the warranty ! He gave me a hand written invoice for the amount to pay . he confirmed That the job was complete. However I was short of some money £200 and asked if I could pay on payday next week and he agreed on that. I haven't paid that money yet and my concern is that his intention was to walk away with my money without professionally and legally completing the work. I really don't understand why he doesn't want to inform gas safe about this installation as you said it only costs him £2.50 ! Any way I still have his remainder money and I don't know how to play this. I have already shown my anger to him and he knows that we are in a dispute. Thanks anyway

Thank you hybrid. on day of completion I asked him everything about benchmark etc and also gas safety certificate but he stated that none of those were needed as he signed the warranty ! He gave me a hand written invoice for the amount to pay . he confirmed That the job was complete. However I was short of some money £200 and asked if I could pay on payday next week and he agreed on that. I haven't paid that money yet and my concern is that his intention was to walk away with my money without professionally and legally completing the work. I really don't understand why he doesn't want to inform gas safe about this installation as you said it only costs him £2.50 ! Any way I still have his remainder money and I don't know how to play this. I have already shown my anger to him and he knows that we are in a dispute. Thanks anyway

Did you tell him before starting the job that you didn't have the money to pay him? This would be an issue for most installers on here, we need to be paid for the work we carry out. No wonder you have issues with him.

Get him to sign something saying he will complete all paperwork and register the appliance once full paid, then pay him.

IMO

if you'd failed to pay me on completion I would not be getting into an argument with you , I simply would pass your details onto my debt recovery company and have done with it. too many customers forgot how much we shell out before even starting and that we go to work to feed our own families.

I went to customer which had boiler installed back in 2010. No benchmark filled. I needed to check whole install as they are planning to sell the house and they need boiler registered with building control. Had to rectify few things but once done I registered appliance on gas safe. Building control charges few hundred pounds for that. Be honest, I don't want to do it anymore, taking responsibility for someones work. So hopefully you get it sorted with original installer. Good luck pal

Hi all, I just had a new combi boiler installed last week. The gas fitter was registered with gas safe . I didn't check his I'D which I should have but checked his business on gas safe register and was satisfied That the business and he is registered and his photo also matched him. I am now concerned about him as he has not commissioned my boiler and filled the benchmark. He insted just signed the warranty card which I later found that it would be invalid without the benchmark!
Another problem is that he has not informed gas safe about this work so buildings control would not also know about this. I asked him once about buildings control and he laughed it off saying saying it was complete rip off for me as buildings control would charge me £480 for the certificate and that would-be a waste of time for me. I am concerned now and don't believe he is genuine . would buildings control really charge me £480 for this ? Or was he just lying to me just to get away with it ? I am already in a dispute with him. How do I sort out warranty for my new boiler ? hope you guys can guide me on this. Thanks
catch 22 if u owed me 200 i would not register the boiler why should i after final payment i would register .if u think the guys work is unsafe call gassafe and get a free check done.
altho if it was me working for you and i had worked hard and done the work to the preagreed price i would feel rather put out not the get the payment fron the job ..

tell the installer you have phone the manufacture and they have told you that the boiler must have the benchmark filled out to prove it has been commissioned correctly and registered with building control.

to be honest any engineer that does not correctly commission and fill out the benchmark is a cowboy in my eyes.

it seems simple, pay him the money and tell him to correctly fill out the paperwork as required.

Last edited:
What do you do with a worcs cdi regular? No benchmark with that boiler. They used to enclose the blue card one but no longer.
I just write down the inlet pressure, gas rate and fga results and sign it on the blank page at the back.

I really don't understand why he doesn't want to inform gas safe about this installation as you said it only costs him £2.50 !

One possible reason is that some gas fitters don't trust Gas Safe with the details of their customers. Corgi abused the trust that registered fitters put in them by taking the details of installations and using it to sell service plans, effectively taking business away from the tradesmen who registered through them.
There's no sign of Gas Safe doing the same but Corgi has left a bitter aftertaste with some.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to gas safe and buildings control not notified of new boiler installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock