Search the forum,

Discuss Gauge to measure hot water in our insulated cyclinder?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

Hi there.

Quick bit of advice. Is it possible to retrofit something that will measure the amount of hot water in your hot water cylinder?? We had it fitted about two years ago and is covered entirely in a turquoise green insulating foam. It's impossible to tell how much hot water there is, so judging whether we need to turn it on for showers is impossible - money down the drain potentially if we turn the immersion heater on when there is already enough hot water in it.

We're installing a new bathroom suite soon. We're torn between putting in an electric shower (floors will need to come up to connect to mains circuit board and will be expensive to run - 3 or four times the price of an immersion heater someone told me?) or just a standard shower off the existing hot water cylinder. If there was something that would tell us how much hot water we had, we'd probably scrap the idea of an electric shower.

Any thought? Does such a thing exist?

Thanks.

Hi there.

Quick bit of advice. Is it possible to retrofit something that will measure the amount of hot water in your hot water cylinder??

It's the size of your hot water cylinder, it's full of hot water.

Don't have my central heating on for 5 months of the year. Feeling the radiator isn't going to help me much during those months!

So you have a boiler then but choose to use the immersion heater in the summer rather than the boiler ? If so is it gas or oil ?

Oil boiler about years old. I'm definitely confused about running costs. Everyone says an electric shower is expensive to run, but others say it's efficient because it only heats the water we need.

In autumn and winter months we will have the heating on, so we'll be able to hopefully use that hot water already in the cylinder and maybe just top it up briefly for a normal shower coming off the cylinder if needed. In spring/summer however we'd be just turning immersion heater on for the shower.

Trying to work out which would be cheaper over the course of a year? Tricky as approx half the year we won't be using the oil heating!

Is heater in top of cylinder, or in the side at the bottom ? and how do you heat the water for other things ? like Bath, washing & kitchen sink, can you run the boiler just to heat the hot water tank ? Depending on size of hot water tank, and how much you use, it could be more cost effective to run the boiler once or twice a day

I think the heater is at the bottom of the tank, but can't be sure.
The oil heating boiler heats the radiators and hot water tank ......that's why we never use the boiler in spring / summer. Almost sure it can't be isolated to just heat the tank. We use the immersion heater for kitchen sink occasionally....most things just go in the dishwasher.

Think you need to call someone out to look at and explain how to control your system, you should be able to run heating or Hot water independent of each other, Do you have a Programmer/Timer showing settings for heating/water, some photos of controls would help, have you got any other controls ? e.g. room thermostat, timer , thermostat on cylinder ?? How do you normally turn on system ? Could be that you have a faulty control somewhere on system, That why it would be beneficial to call someone in to check out your system !!!!!!!!!

Please register with us to receive additional answers to your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gauge to measure hot water in our insulated cyclinder?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

hello we have an unvented system. we have an issue where the hot water is hot for 10 seconds and then luke warm, turn off taps / wait and turn back and it repeats itself. had boiler checked and told it was the expansion vessel. Had the expansion vessel drained and recharged. plumber told me...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have an OSO Direct 210 hit water cylinder installed in my home, with 2 switches (on/off; and boost). The boiler is for hot water only (rads are electric). In the 5 years that I’ve lived at this property, I’ve never once turned the boiler off; however, with soaring energy prices, I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, We are having PV panels fitted which will dump the excess energy into our hot water tank. Our house originally had a large 210L economy7 hot water tank (cold tank in loft), but the hot water tank died 18 years ago. At that time we fitted a smaller 117litre tank and went for fitting electric...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a hot water cylinder which feeds 3 outlets (kitchen sink, basin in bathroom & bathtap) which has never had very good pressure (probably because of the set-up) but last year got so feeble that a guy suggested fitting a pump alongside the cylinder. This can work fine but then all of a...
Replies
Views
J
I own a top floor flat in a 4 storey block, i bought it 3 months ago (meaning that this is an issue i will have to personally deal with, no landlord). at first i had no issues, but recently, we have no warm/hot water in our kitchen or bath taps. the bathroom sink hot tap gets warm, and the...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock