Search the forum,

Discuss getting combi installed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andypandy

I am thinking of changing my conventional boiler to a combi.
I understand the tanks in the attic have to be cut off and water tank done away with,pipes stop ended etc.
but i am looking for a rough idea on cost for labour and materials excluding price of a combi as i will supply myself.

Thanks for any replies
Andy

Hi Andy

Without knowing a great deal more about your property, I don't think anyone can even guess a price over the internet. Way too many variables.

Out of interest, why are you planning to supply the boiler yourself? Don't kid yourself it will save you money, unless you are getting it for free.

Ray

i dont know what boiler i am getting yet so only wanting an idea on cost of labour and materials

How can you have an idea of cost of materials when the largest part of that is the boiler?

It's too open a question anyway. You sound like a bloke who's already out for the cheapest price/already assumed he's gonna get ripped off.

I understand the tanks in the attic have to be cut off and water tank done away with,pipes stop ended etc.
but i am looking for a rough idea on cost for labour and materials excluding price of a combi as i will supply myself.

Thanks for any replies
Andy

Dependant on house requirements; something like this, if you're buying, and then get three or four quotes. You should have the engineer recommend a boiler prior to purchasing anyway.
Baxi Neta-tec 28 GA Combi Boiler Natural Gas/LPG

As for labour costs; impossible for anyone to quote even a ball park figure.

Last edited:
Like previously said its impossible to give you a rough idea on cost without looking at job and costing materials and time to do job, also all the engineers on here are spread over the UK, so rates vary hugely ,

Anything between 3 and 6k without looking!

I wouldnt bother supplying the boiler yourself. It wont save you much if anything and it will put off all the best fitters as they will think something is fishy with the job.

Us fitters have spent years building relationships with merchants and manufacturers so why not let us take care of the whole job, its what your paying us for.

I agree with the above post. As a customer who has had a number of CH jobs done,including fitting of condensing boiler and rads, the plumber often has access to preferred prices through his contacts, and also has experience with particular makes.Also, I think it is fairly hopeless trying to compared boiler makes via the internet as the only people who are really vociferous are people who have had problems.
5 years ago I had a condensing boiler fitted to replace my old combi one,with the condensing pipe routed through my ceiling with all the drilling involved for £1700 and I think I got an absolute bargain.

I agree with the above post. As a customer who has had a number of CH jobs done,including fitting of condensing boiler and rads, the plumber often has access to preferred prices through his contacts, and also has experience with particular makes.Also, I think it is fairly hopeless trying to compared boiler makes via the internet as the only people who are really vociferous are people who have had problems.
5 years ago I had a condensing boiler fitted to replace my old combi one,with the condensing pipe routed through my ceiling with all the drilling involved for £1700 and I think I got an absolute bargain.

Can you PM me the fitters number please:)
I have a few jobs for him. At that price, I will even pay him extra, then have more time to spend at the allotment and rewind

Can you PM me the fitters number please:)
I have a few jobs for him. At that price, I will even pay him extra, then have more time to spend at the allotment and rewind
Gloworm Flexicom 30c, the only problem I have had is the condensate pump valve failed after a couple of years, but I changed it myself.
It was £1700 just to replace the boiler but still a very good price I think.
I have read poor reviews of Gloworm, but my personal experience is that it is okay.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had a couple of interesting situations regarding the OP.

I have quoted boiler change-overs for some customers, who then have gone out and bought the boiler that I recommended on my quote.

A few days later I have had calls from them stating that they have bought the boiler themselves and want me to come and fit it - expecting that my quote will be substantially cheaper due to them purchasing the boiler.

I give them a new price for the job - less MY cost of the boiler - and guess what.......they are up for a more expensive boiler installation.

I also let them know - after things have gone sour - what I actually pay for the boiler that they have purchased - just to rub salt into the wound.

Guess what?.....I was never asked to fit the boilers.
Hope they're still cold

I've had a couple of interesting situations regarding the OP.

I have quoted boiler change-overs for some customers, who then have gone out and bought the boiler that I recommended on my quote.

A few days later I have had calls from them stating that they have bought the boiler themselves and want me to come and fit it - expecting that my quote will be substantially cheaper due to them purchasing the boiler.

I give them a new price for the job - less MY cost of the boiler - and guess what.......they are up for a more expensive boiler installation.

I also let them know - after things have gone sour - what I actually pay for the boiler that they have purchased - just to rub salt into the wound.

Guess what?.....I was never asked to fit the boilers.
Hope they're still cold

To be nice to the general public, I hope ''they are not still cold'' :)

But this is a regular scenario.
A month ago, I was called to inspect a property that a ''customer'' had just bought. The minute I walked into the flat, I knew there was a problem. How he felt comfortable in there, I will never know?????

I asked him if he had just been using the gas hob/cooker prior to my arrival and he said no. I asked for location of gas meter. All this while, the smell of leaking gas was overpowering.
The ECV was inoperable? I could not even isolate the gas supply to do any test. Had to go to the van and get a massive wrench to turn it off, then ID'd it and informed him to call his supplier to come change the valve before anything could be done. ''How much will they charge me and how many weeks will I have to wait for them to come and change it?'' No charge and in a couple of hours, I said.

I then informed him that he not only have a massive leak but in my opinion he should consider replacing the combi boiler. He responded by telling me that I would say that, wouldn't I?
Two hours later he phoned me to say the ECV had been changed and it has been confirmed pipework is leaking. Can I provide a quote to investigate and change pipework? I told him I will ring back in the evening after I finish work. When I rang back, he told me not to bother as he has gotten someone to quote for a boiler replacement and he has provided a quote saying he will rpair the leak as well. OK, says I.
Yesterday, he rang and asked me to come and give him a quote to replace his bathroom. My initial instinct was to tell him to jog on, but out of interest I went. First thing I asked him was why did he not ask the chap who changed the boiler to upgrade his bathroom? He claimed he told him but he has been delaying, then requested that I follow him to the kitchen. He then showed me the installed boiler saying it has not been quite completed. He pointed to the flue, showing me where it was leaking into the kitchen (3m length). Flue was not well clipped and sagging???? I could see at least TWO more faults but told him I will not get involved.
I am not against peeps using other installers/tradesmen, it is their choice. But to think he never even gave me the chance to quote for the boiler replacement, then turn down my quote, beats me.

Best Plan is get British Gas to give a quote then anybody on here can half it
and still look after you well - maybe a system boiler is better than a combi

centralheatking -

g

Thanks for any replies
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to getting combi installed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock