Search the forum,

Discuss Getting your new business of the ground in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stevdev

Hey guys,

Sorry if this has been posted before!

I've just started up a new company and was just wondering what tips you guys can give on how to stand out from the rest? I'm in the process of making a 1000 brochures and handing them out door-to-door and of course advertise on Gumtree etc.

What other recommendations can you guys give?

Any help will do :)

Thanks guys!

Steve

Personally I found dancing in a mankini in the city centre got me noticed.

What really made me stand out though was the fact I wore a comedy moustache as I did it.....

The rest of em just blended in to obliqueness..

If you've got time on your hands, go and drive around your local area - or the areas you want to work in - and see how many plumbers vans there are.
Take note of the company's that are working in your area - or selected areas.
You have to do this during working hours, for obvious reasons.

That way you will know the competition, and you can work on ways to be competitive with them.
Call them up and ask for their service call charges and hourly rate.

It may even be worth getting to know a couple of them - the might fob off a job or two to you if they are too busy.

Its not easy and will take time to be self sufficient.

Plug social media, get a website and get a online presence it's all about getting your name out there it's slow but will come if your good at what u do

why not sub contract for a company then try pinching their work, It's worth a try:smartass:

I am a believer in door to door leaflet drops, you can obviously target your 'locals'
Get them made up professionally , on good quality glossy paper, don't just rattle a few off on your pc at home.

Personally I found dancing in a mankini in the city centre got me noticed.

What really made me stand out though was the fact I wore a comedy moustache as I did it.....

The rest of em just blended in to obliqueness..
That'll get ye noticed alright by the cops and d lads in d white coats

why not sub contract for a company then try pinching their work, It's worth a try:smartass:

Great way to end up in a dentists chair or in the emergency department of a hospital.

Also does wonders for your reputation.

Believe it or not, bosses of plumbing company's have friends or contact with bosses of other plumbing company's.

No quicker way to get yourself 'blacklisted'.

Great way to end up in a dentists chair or in the emergency department of a hospital.

Also does wonders for your reputation.

Believe it or not, bosses of plumbing company's have friends or contact with bosses of other plumbing company's.

No quicker way to get yourself 'blacklisted'.

works for me I do it all the time:yes:

Have a look at Checkatrade to see if there's any competition on there in your local area. If not or if they don't have a lot of reviews it will be the best money you've spent in terms of getting your business running quicker.

Avoid all other paid advertising as in my experience it doesn't really work.

My suggestion is don't steal customers from other companies. Some companies (the larger ones mostly) do actually allow you to keep the customer next time but most do not. Build your business by keeping your integrity and you will do better in the long term. There is a phrase 'don't bite the hand that feeds you' and karma has a way of dealing rubbish deals to people who do. If someone did that to me they would be getting a very negative review on all of their online business pages but then, I'm a spiteful bugger. Very loyal to equally loyal people but I don't like disloyal people at all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Getting your new business of the ground in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

J
Hello, I have an alcove shower with a wall to wall measurement of 952mm. I need a bifold door and am looking at something contemporary, 8mm...
Replies
Views
Hi, would anyone like to hazard a guess at what's causing this problem on the ground floor of our house? As you can see, the bottom of both sides...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm a fairly regular on the electricians forum but know nothing! about plumbing. Basically all other taps get hot but the shower is luke...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone! Parents not used the boiler since 2013/2014, since installing a new wetroom for them they have now decided its worth getting the...
Replies
Views
Hello, my Mothers heating failed in the recent UK cold snap. I found the pump was stuck. I have a question about pump orientation. The...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock