Discuss Going Self-employed, advice. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Update: I spoke with my employer today and he wants me to go self employed but keep on working for him. I mean what’s the point when it’s more responsibility my end. Like I’ll have to see an accountant about tax returns and I’ll get taxed because there’s no way I’m working for 12,500 a year... No idea how to approach this.

Sounds like your "employer" is trying to avoid providing you a pension, sick pay, holiday pay ....

How much is your "employer" offering to pay you per day?

Tread carefully as HMRC are planning to tighten up on this "bogus" self employment...

Seeing an accountant is very important and will help you with understanding all the ramifications of this huge step

Sounds like your "employer" is trying to avoid providing you a pension, sick pay, holiday pay ..

How much is your "employer" offering to pay you per day?

Tread carefully as HMRC are planning to tighten up on this "bogus" self employment...

Seeing an accountant is very important and will help you with understanding all the ramifications of this huge step

Probably the same as what I'm currently on which is £70 a day.

I will go to see one, the one I want to see is the same one as my employer and I'm concerned about my privacy.

I'm skint at the moment so I hope seeing one isn't too costly.

Probably the same as what I'm currently on which is £70 a day.

I will go to see one, the one I want to see is the same one as my employer and I'm concerned about my privacy.

I'm skint at the moment so I hope seeing one isn't too costly.

Can you use a different one? They don't have to be in your area as you can call/video link them & send everything by email.
You are going to have to be tough & ask for more than £70 a day as you must have your own insurance, your own vehical, tools, tax bills, accountant fees ect ect. You would be better stacking shelves than being paid £70 a day SE.
Are you qualified? Labourer? Or Apprentice?

Can you use a different one? They don't have to be in your area as you can call/video link them & send everything by email.
You are going to have to be tough & ask for more than £70 a day as you must have your own insurance, your own vehical, tools, tax bills, accountant fees ect ect. You would be better stacking shelves than being paid £70 a day SE.
Are you qualified? Labourer? Or Apprentice?

I'll look into that. I'd prefer to meet with them face-to-face as I can convey more information that way.

Yeah I will and if he doesn't like it then tough. I'm worth more than that and it really isn't worth it. As you say there's all that to account for and £70 a day is a joke to be honest.

I'm fully qualified (level 3) and OFTEC but not GS even though I install gas boilers/appliances. My work is signed off from him.

£70 per day as a skilled SE person . not worth getting out of bed for and is it above the minimum wage

Remember no sick pay, no holiday pay, no bank holiday pay, no pension PLUS extra overheads

You need at least £150 per day to even consider this..

This is why I'm doing my degree because I don't see being a plumber worth the hassle.

When I'm in work for my employer I'm not only doing the job but I'm dealing with clients, arranging things as well as gathering materials for the jobs. Some times mentoring an apprentice as well.

Blessing in disguise this is. Just need to arm myself with information to state my case against him.

This is why I'm doing my degree because I don't see being a plumber worth the hassle.

When I'm in work for my employer I'm not only doing the job but I'm dealing with clients, arranging things as well as gathering materials for the jobs. Some times mentoring an apprentice as well.

Blessing in disguise this is. Just need to arm myself with information to state my case against him.
It can be worth while, if you enjoy plumbing & Heating then stick at it, it is a good rewarding job if you find the correct employer.
I had an employee that I treated like your boss is treating you......although I paid him about £90 a day. I spoke to him as his work ethic & work rate dropped once he got his SVQ & OFTEC through. Gave him a van home & 1.50 an hr extra & his attitude changed for the better. Tell you boss how you feel & he might change, without you saying how you feel maybe his is oblivious or maybe just an ar5e. Good luck with whatever you chose.

It can be worth while, if you enjoy plumbing & Heating then stick at it, it is a good rewarding job if you find the correct employer.
I had an employee that I treated like your boss is treating you....although I paid him about £90 a day. I spoke to him as his work ethic & work rate dropped once he got his SVQ & OFTEC through. Gave him a van home & 1.50 an hr extra & his attitude changed for the better. Tell you boss how you feel & he might change, without you saying how you feel maybe his is oblivious or maybe just an ar5e. Good luck with whatever you chose.

I do enjoy it to be fair, however my love for the game has seriously diminished due to the low salary.

I've got my own van which I pay tax and insurance on, he does give me money for fuel in fairness and also he put me through my OFTEC. However for the amount of responsibility I have it's just not worth it.

He knows how I feel but I think he's to stuck in his own ways to up my wage to what's right so the more I think about it the more I'm seeing the positives. I'll be having a serious chat once I know everything I need to know. I'm definitely going to consult with an accountant before that.

Thanks though.

Reply to Going Self-employed, advice. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Just started gound work on self build bungalow and wondering best way to do below ground soil pipes. For toilet I was going to go straight down...
Replies
Views
Hi, Later this year I am going away for a 2 week holiday and as the weather will be warm there is no need for the heating to be on and arguably...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock