Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Got a problem with my U Bend on my kitchen sink in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DanielDeronda

Hi

I've got a problem when trying to reconnect my U bend underneath my kitchen sink.

I've been trying to clean out all the gunk that has built up from using the sink, so I removed the u bend pipe underneath the sink, removed any extraneous matter that may be causing any blockages.

However, I have a problem when reconnecting the pipe. It is a compression joint. One of the ends connects perfectly, but for some reason, I can't connect the other end. I have a couple of washers (1 black & rubber, 1 blue & plastic) & the white threaded compression cap. The black washer has a tapered feel on 1 side.

It has worked fine before, but stupidly I forgot what order the washers/cap go in & how they connect to the pipe.

Can you please advise what I need to do? I don't want to bring out a plumber as I'm sure it's a simple job!!

The tapered black washer closes the gap between the pipe and the socket it fits in
The Blue washer allows the compression nut to spin freely to squash the black washer.

Hi Tom

Can't seem to send pictures from my mobile to my PC. Is there any other way I can get the photos to you?

The tapered black washer closes the gap between the pipe and the socket it fits in
The Blue washer allows the compression nut to spin freely to squash the black washer.

Can you send me a photo with what this looks like (or a link?) as I can't send photos on my mobile.

like this

multifit-connections.jpg

Ok, I have the white plastic compression cap that I think I want to connect the 2 pipes. I have 2 washers, one blue & plastic, one black & rubber. Do these go inside the compression cap or inside one of the pipes. THe compression cap has a tapered feel inside as does the black rubber washer.

Do I have the tapered side of the black washer facing in or out?

Sorry if I seem to be seeming a bit thick, but it's difficult to embed images. I've attached a generic u-bend image with the black washer.

One end of the connection is fine, but I can't seem to replicate the other. I have unscrewed it but it seems to have different washers.

Thanks

Attachments

• kitchen-sink-u-bend-p-trap-with-washing-machine-inlet-40004029-1651-p[ekm]300x283[ekm].jpg
    kitchen-sink-u-bend-p-trap-with-washing-machine-inlet-40004029-1651-p[ekm]300x283[ekm].jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 2
  • white compression cap for u bend.jpg
    white compression cap for u bend.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 2
Hi Daniel, you may have missed ShaunCorbs' post just above your last one. He has posted a really good cutaway picture showing the correct order and orientation of the components in your waste fitting.

Thanks for the reply, I don't seem to have the white washer inside the black one. Is this important? I seem to be able to connect the fitting but it doesn't stay on for more than a few minutes. I'm getting increasingly frustrated, as it seems such a simple job :90:

Put the compression nut over the waste pipe, then the blue ring. Then the black washer - make sure the taper is facing away from the compression nut.
Then the pipe inserts into the trap, you push the black washer up into the trap until it stops (the tapered part should be inside where the waste pipe fits in), then push the blue ring and compression nut up and tighten.

I've just assembled one and took pics, this should help you out.

Put the components on the pipe and offer up to the trap.
image1.jpg

Push pipe home in trap socket.
image2.jpg

Push black rubber washer into the socket of the trap.
image3.jpg

My red plastic ring is blue in your case, push it up to the rubber washer, then push the compression nut up and tighten. Voila!
image4.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 26
Tried to reconnect as shown with the JPEGs & it seemed to work, but when I ran some water through the sink, there was a leak!!

I think I'll have to get a plumber in, as I think it may be to do with the shoddy installation of ,y new washing machine. I may also get a new u-bend as well.

Thanks for the help, but I think I'll have to admit defeat!!

Sorted now, it needed a few new spare parts, but the plumber tested it & there were no leaks & we noticed where the blockage was affecting my washing machine's performance. It had happened when the original installation took place. Wont be using this particular retailer again for any more white goods!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Got a problem with my U Bend on my kitchen sink in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi guys....we have an old Astracast sink top....I think its a composite sink....has a big single bowl. My wife thinks it looks scruffy....looks...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Hello I am looking to install a slimline dishwasher (integrated) into a cupboard in my kitchen. The depth of the dishwasher is 550mm and the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock