Discuss Grant euroflame 50/70 oil boiler failing to fire in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andrewjeffs

I have been having trouble with this boiler ever since it was installed due to two rogue plumbers never setting it up correct.
However last year,and with a well reccomended plumber the boiler worked fine for 12 months.
But now the boiler stopped working a few days before it was due to be seviced,the pump runs but the boiler will not fire.
The plumber came,serviced the boiler,and it seemed to be ok...for a day,again pump runs but wont fire.
Plumber came again,could find no faults,and again ran for one day,then refuses to fire.

If i reset the boiler,it will fire for a few seconds then shuts off.

The tank has just been filled with oil,the burner is a riello rdb1 50/70sh type 484t50.

The boiler always seems to stop working when it gets close to winter temperatures.

Any help i can pass on to the plumber would be a great help,i am panicing a bit, as winter is approaching, and no heating..again.

How low filling did the tank get before refilling? it may be air in the oil pipe work or the filling of the tank may have disturbed dirt from the bottom of the tank.

How low filling did the tank get before refilling? it may be air in the oil pipe work or the filling of the tank may have disturbed dirt from the bottom of the tank.
It did run right out,but when the boiler was serviced he changed the jet nozzle.
Wouldnt that be the area the dirt would clog if it was that?

The boiler did run after the tank was refilled.

Last edited by a moderator:
Always dificult to diagnose without actually being there. Assuming that your guy checked the fuel supply and set the oil pressure and co2 I would go for the photocell, it is easy to check the photocell. If you say the boiler wont start now, if you disconnect the photocell (RDB) or remove it if the burner is a mectron (R40), when you try to start it it will go through the sequence of pre purge etc, when the photocell checks for light the second time it wont be able to detect it so the burner will fire and after a few seconds it will go to lockout, if this happens the photocell is faulty, you can only check this one if it wont start at all.
You say the pump runs and the boiler goes out after a few seconds, this is probably the fan starting up but not actually firing, if it does fire but goes to lockout it could still be the photocell but you will be only able to check it in this case by replacing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
If dirt got into oil line then it would clog to some extent oil filter at pipe + oil filter in oil pump + fire valves & everything else. If it is a decent paper element filter ( at tank ) then hopefully it will only be dirty. The 50/70 euroflame is very likely not to start in cold weather if it hasn't been set properly. The CO2 should be set correctly. Make sure the bloke working on it knows what he is doing & uses test equipment. Also he has to be oftec qualified. Oil pumps & motor condensers are what gives trouble on RDB burners.

I should have mentioned the photocell , as Kimbo has said, needs to be clean, but should have been done when the plumber looked at it. I think that you should really get an experienced oil engineer if you can find one, as it should be an obvious problem, easily fixed.

The plumber has been and seviced it so we have to assume if he has done his job properly he would have checked all the filters and bled any oil out of the oil line, set the pressure and CO2. If he hasnt done any of these things he hasnt serviced it and we would need to go back to basics.

The plumber has been and seviced it so we have to assume if he has done his job properly he would have checked all the filters and bled any oil out of the oil line, set the pressure and CO2. If he hasnt done any of these things he hasnt serviced it and we would need to go back to basics.
Thats always the issue - did the guy actually do a service & proper check on it all? If he did, then providing the motor turns when an attempt is made to start boiler, then it is most likely either not set up properly or oil pump faulty. If too much air going into burner then it may not start in cold weather.

Thats always the issue - did the guy actually do a service & proper check on it all? If he did, then providing the motor turns when an attempt is made to start boiler, then it is most likely either not set up properly or oil pump faulty. If too much air going into burner then it may not start in cold weather.

This guy is supposed to be good with oil burners.
He has given me a service sheet with a whole run down of figures from the various tests he has made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Grant euroflame 50/70 oil boiler failing to fire in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Any advice welcome as plumber stumped Had 36-46 grant vortex utility boiler 7 years no problem recently oil tank move and tigerloop install...
Replies
Views
Hi there. I have Grant oil fired boiler which when cold, takes multiple times to fire up. It will run for say 20 or 30 seconds with hot exhaust...
Replies
Views
My Grant combi oil boiler is giving me quite a headache at the moment. When I returned home last Friday I'd no heating or hot water. An engineer...
Replies
Views
I'm looking for some advice on a frustrating problem I'm having with my old Eurostar 50-60s oil boiler please? Although it's old, most parts...
Replies
Views
Hi, Over the past few months, my wife and I have noticed a constant pulsing sound throughout the house which is particularly noisy at night (this...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock