Discuss Gravity hot water to fully pumped but keeping same boiler for now. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thekidda

Hi All

I'm just looking for a little guidance. I know questions similar to this have been asked millions of times before but it seems there can be some quite conflicting answers.

I am in the process of changing my hot water cylinder, the old one was gravity fed but the new one requires a fully pumped system. I can't afford to replace the boiler for about a year, so I have to get it working with my existing boiler for the time being. I am moving the cylinder from a bedroom cupboard into the airing cupboard so I will be replacing the hot water pipework all the way from the header tank in the loft down to the boiler in the cellar, only the central heating pipes are being left as they are.

Having read through many comments on this forum and others, I have a gut feeling I should cap off the two 28mm hot water circulation pipes at the boiler and split the central heating circuit into an S-plan or Y-plan, running new 22mm pipes from the heating circuit up to the coil in the new cylinder.

Does this sound like the best solution, given that I am going to replace the boiler fairly soon? I'd hate to have to re-do this in a year. Plus, can anyone tell me whether I should go for S-plan or Y-plan?

Thanks in advance

s plan and y plan are piped the same only difference is on s you use two valves and on y you use one three port my personal preference is for s plan much easier to fault find on
if your boiler has no overheat stat its compulsary to fit an overheat stat or preasure relief valve even on vented cylinders if your not sure about overhet stat tell us which boiler you have

Thanks for the reply

The boiler is an oil-fired Panda 50, possibly by Thorn, I'm guessing it has been in since the 70s or early 80s judging by the design and state of it. It has an adjustable stat dial on the front, would that act as an overheat stat?

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gravity hot water to fully pumped but keeping same boiler for now. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Solved
Hi, I am looking for a bit of advice. Our Gledhill hot water tank was installed incorrectly 18 months ago and has been sending bubbling hot...
Replies
Views
We have a gravity fed hot water system in our the house we have just recently moved into. It works fine with the downstairs shower, however we are...
Replies
Views
Hi all I have a problem with my hot water header tank getting warm water into it from the bottom of the header tank (not the hooked...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Central Heating Pump - G Pump Force HE-RS25/6PWM-130 Hi, I would be grateful if someone could explain whether our CH system can cope with the...
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a gravity fed conventional gas fired boiler (Potterton Kingfisher MF). The boiler is fed cold water from...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock