Discuss Gravity to fully pumped in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bonesy60

Hi guys I need you help with this one I may ramble on a bit but please bear with me. I am doing some day work for a guy who pays very well so I don't want to lose the work that is coming along from him he as asked me to sort his hot water system out at his own home but it's bigger than any I have worked on before and I am a bit concerned about getting it right. I have posted a few photo's but basically he has got a 500 by 1500 cylinder with gravity feed hot water from a worcester dansmoor oil boiler. the central heating is pumped with 20 rads on the circuit, he has got four bathrooms with three showers in them feed by a 3 bar pump. Now the only problem he has is the amount of hot water that he gets. the supply for the pump is take from about a third of the way down from the top of the cylinder now my idea was to change the cylinder for a 600 1800 fit a y plan and pit an sussex flange at the top to fed the pump but I am only really used to working on small combi system and the occasional y plan repair so I am unsure ho to sort the pipe work do I take the F+E from one side of the boiler and then straight to the pump up to a three port and the back into the system from the or are there better ways. Now I have thought about unvented but his supply is not that good and it's a listed building with some really old pipe work and I don't think I want to pressurize it just in case many thanks for any help just ask if you need more info I have studded the system quite a lot so I know it quite well now cheers Ian.

Attachments

• 27052010242.jpg
    27052010242.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 27052010243.jpg
    27052010243.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 27052010244.jpg
    27052010244.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 27052010245.jpg
    27052010245.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 61
  • 27052010246.jpg
    27052010246.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 57
Hi Bonsey

What a mess, good look sorting that lot out.

If you are going to order a new cylinder get one with shower tapping already fitted rather than drilling in a brand new cylinder.

I think I would recomend is ripping all the pipework out between boiler/cylinder and repiping with "Y" plan.

Good scrap price at the moment

Eco

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh dear, good luck with that lot, your right dont even think about pressurising that lot. Id be tempted to convert it to a y plan at the boiler, convert one of the top tappings off the boiler to become the flow, put your pump on this then above your pump put in your 28mm 3 port ,split this between the 28mm gravity circ to the cylinder, and the flow to the rads, you can get a radio room stat and cylinder stat so no wires to run.

as above,don't forget vent and cold feed will be on flow and return,this require changing to prevent pump over in f+e tank,,draw out what you have now and then draw out new planed setup for ref,good luck :)

imho

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at the job again today there is no way I can get down the left hand side of the boiler which is where the pump is so if I cut and cap that side and use the tappings from the right hand side which I can get to then fit a new 15/60 and three port from there it should be OK I don't really want to take the boiler out. I have got to re-site the 3 bar shower pump as it is because it's under the cylinder and I wan't the new one on the floor next to the boiler. Starting it it on Monday so it should be fun lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gravity to fully pumped in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have a gravity fed hot water system in our the house we have just recently moved into. It works fine with the downstairs shower, however we are...
Replies
Views
Hello, my Mothers heating failed in the recent UK cold snap. I found the pump was stuck. I have a question about pump orientation. The...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always...
Replies
Views
Hello friends - I really struggle to understand my heating and hot water system I posted my question on Diynot but it ended up being five pages...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I have a WorcesterBosch Greenstar 42CDi classic combi, which is providing DHW fine, but not heating. Was working fine in spring...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock