Search the forum,

Discuss Gutters - regs for catching other peoples ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

edwardk

Hi I am building an extension and my gutters have been up for 4 years. I got some new neighbours in the last 6 months and they have started to complain about my gutters.

I have a small triangle that isn't being caught by a gutter and goes onto their roof. They are complaining of a waterfall over their back door.

Here are some pics:
gutter_02.jpg

gutter_01.jpg

How should I catch this ?
Originally I didn't catch it as the gutter line doesn't quite go under the valley lead.

They have a large flat roof extension at the back of their house so have a pretty big roof area and only have a small run of guttering across the back:
gutters_04.jpg

gutters_03.jpg

Would their problem be that they have too small a run of guttering for their back roof area ?
Thanks for any advice,
Ed

No , the problem is that that lead is never gonna put the water into the gutter ! It wants sorted at the bottom end your roof is discharging onto theirs

Last edited:
Sure ok so would the best way to fix it be to make up a bit of lead that sweeps the water into my gutter from the valley?

How can I fix this in ? Can I just mastic it into the valley ?

I've guessing that I can leave the gutter end cap where it is and the sweeping lead part will ensure that I catch all my water.

The long run of gutter on my roof looks ok I think and as far as I'm aware it runs correctly but I thought I'd check it when I'm up there.

I think that it currently falls something like 20mm in every metre - is that about right ?

Can you not extend your section of gutter a bit ? Maybe go to deep flow
The lead should not be mastic'd. Its gonna be a challenge to slow down and divert the water coming down that valley

I'm surprised the building inspector allowed that, you are responsible for containing your roof water, currently your in danger of flooding their roof as the water will be running sideways across the slate, pretty quickly too, rather than the expected down, water will easily get under the tiles like that.

How about a shallow catcher and run of downpipe just under your current gutter, then the lead will only be minor modification and can join the main downpipe on the edge of the property.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gutters - regs for catching other peoples ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock