Discuss Had a Power Flush now looking for a bit of advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

but in loads of rented gaffs, housing trusts etc. all the huge
tower blocks springing up in succesfull citys I know
anyway ...have a good new year
regards to you townfanjon
centralheatking

Well I can't see it catching on Rob if I am honest mate people need to be educated on how to use and control their heating, you can put the best system money can buy in a home if it leaks heat then it will be a waste of time, weather comp is not that great either in my opinion as we are all different what one person thinks is comfortable may not be suitable for another lost count of the amount of call backs I get saying my heating not working properly ? well it is missus ! but try educating them well the radiators dont get hot and I'm always cold grrrr , smart control I can see the benefits but why make things more complicated than it needs to be . Cheers kop

Well I can't see it catching on Rob if I am honest mate people need to be educated on how to use and control their heating, you can put the best system money can buy in a home if it leaks heat then it will be a waste of time, weather comp is not that great either in my opinion as we are all different what one person thinks is comfortable may not be suitable for another lost count of the amount of call backs I get saying my heating not working properly ? well it is missus ! but try educating them well the radiators dont get hot and I'm always cold grrrr , smart control I can see the benefits but why make things more complicated than it needs to be . Cheers kop
its already on the way for community housing, delivery we understand 18 months ...it will monitor temp, humdity, gas water and electricity consumption and many other add ons all reporting back to a central control whom will dictate call out protocols , soft or hard
Rob Foster ...centralheatking

So true! Somehow I am facing the same problem. When I install smart controllers the homeowners don’t understand the weather comp. how it works. For them to work means roasting hot rads but if you have warm radiator that means for them issues. But to be fair it really starts with the simplest which insulated exterior walls, floors etc. Then it goes down to single or double glazing etc. These are all factors which are important for thermostatic Radiator valves to reduce the fuel.

I suppose that when the installation programs start I will able to,up date you. by housing trust and region. Any claims I make are at present of no consequence unless you have a particular commercial intrest
See that`s where the old CHK and Rob Foster differ. CHK was a hands on experianced plumber and heating engineer offering solid help where as Rob Foster is a design kind of guy who keeps saying "Trust me, I have seen the future, it is coming" or "I have dinner with the CEO" etc etc. Sorry Rob but I prefer the old CHK.
Wishing you a good 2019.

Last edited:
See that`s where the old CHK and Rob Foster differ. CHK was a hands on experianced heating engineer offering solid help where as Rob Foster is a design kind of guy who keeps saying "Trust me, I have seen the future, it is coming" or "I have dinner with the CEO" etc etc. Sorry Rob but I prefer the old CHK.
Wishing you a good 2019.
I am listening rpm ...lets have a good 2019. CHK

I do see the point about mini-BMS but I also see that people will not understand them. Many years ago, before I was qualified, I re-vamped my mother's heating system. TRVs in common areas, zone control valves in all rooms and bedrooms and room thermostats. The bedrooms had programmable thermostats controlled by the main programmer so the bedrooms could be held at a low temperature until the evening (unless they were needed for study purposes etc in which case the stat manual over-ride was used), meaning they only got a quick blast before bed time.

Problem is no one else except me could get their head around the system. Even my mother whose house it was. While my mother and I were away, a lodger took off the lockshield heads and opened the balancing valves fully in an attempt to improve heat output to that room, presumably (thus throwing the entire system out of balance).

People couldn't understand why a room wasn't heating up when the programmable stat was clearly calling for heat (because the main programmer had switched the heating off), or why a room wasn't heating up when they had switched the system on, or they would turn a thermostat up to 25 in the belief that the room would somehow reach 18°C more quickly when the stat was at 25.

Probably a mini-BMS would be more intuitive and I will be interested to hear more details.

Meanwhile, when someone has a (?) balancing issue, I cannot understand why you would recommend that they remove the TRVs. They are not looking for a new system: they are trying to make the one they have work to its original spec.

I do see the point about mini-BMS but I also see that people will not understand them. Many years ago, before I was qualified, I re-vamped my mother's heating system. TRVs in common areas, zone control valves in all rooms and bedrooms and room thermostats. The bedrooms had programmable thermostats controlled by the main programmer so the bedrooms could be held at a low temperature until the evening (unless they were needed for study purposes etc in which case the stat manual over-ride was used), meaning they only got a quick blast before bed time.

Problem is no one else except me could get their head around the system. Even my mother whose house it was. While my mother and I were away, a lodger took off the lockshield heads and opened the balancing valves fully in an attempt to improve heat output to that room, presumably (thus throwing the entire system out of balance).

People couldn't understand why a room wasn't heating up when the programmable stat was clearly calling for heat (because the main programmer had switched the heating off), or why a room wasn't heating up when they had switched the system on, or they would turn a thermostat up to 25 in the belief that the room would somehow reach 18°C more quickly when the stat was at 25.

Probably a mini-BMS would be more intuitive and I will be interested to hear more details.

Meanwhile, when someone has a (?) balancing issue, I cannot understand why you would recommend that they remove the TRVs. They are not looking for a new system: they are trying to make the one they have work to its original spec.
Hi Ric2013 ..thank you 4 your considered reply..I really appreciate the time and thought you have applied.
1. mini bms are on their way and I will always keep UKPF informed.
This new generation of mini Bms is exciting and the inter connection is going to be awesome...and quite affordable.
anymore will break confidentiality at present.
2. you are correct ...I was wrong to introduce this to a discussion about TRV in a domestic arena.

I understand that they are mandatory just like condesing boilers ....however...my opinions on both are reserved

Have a good 2019 Ric2o13 kind
regards Rob Foster ....centralheatking

Last edited:
but in loads of rented gaffs, housing trusts etc. all the huge
tower blocks springing up in succesfull citys I know
anyway ...have a good new year
regards to you townfanjon
centralheatking

tower blocks dont have gas more likly have hius

Reply to Had a Power Flush now looking for a bit of advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock