• Thread starter Barry98
  • Start date
  • Replies 3K
  • Views 596K

Discuss HALL of SHAME PHOTo`s in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arh man why go to all that effort, just get a pan that fits, also I hate DIY'ers and flexi's! Swear its not even pushed in all the way. Great photo for hall of shame any how :D

I was replacing a soil stack for a mate yesterday, when I was at the top of the ladder cutting out the old stack I peered over next doors' roof to see this shining example of a plume kit.

The installer had notched out the gutter perfectly to pass the flue through, supported by a bit of silicone round the gutter half way and a cable tie round the gutter at the top.

7be8fde5645594de388786799b31ce0d.jpg

17ddbe88024abec252a6b2f5854e4b09.jpg

e45c692d0822de3e299da0c8e77e02d8.jpg

Can't tell from pics but doesn't seem any need for all that ?

The flue is definitely too close to the opening but I'm not sure that plume kit installation was the right solution.

It does look a bit too close even with the kit.

The installer was probably fed up of customers supplying back to wall pans when they cant physically have them!Ive had it a couple of times even after saying do not buy a back to wall pan as I cant fit one without building a false wall or running soil outside, What did I get yep 2 back to wall pans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The installer was probably fed up of customers supplying back to wall pans when they cant physically have them!Ive had it a couple of times even after saying do not buy a back to wall pan as I cant fit one without building a false wall or running soil outside, What did I get yep 2 back to wall pans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Had one this morning with a Sanislim shoehorned in behind it, luckily for me I could reach the problem area otherwise it would of meant pan and pump coming out as one. That`s fine when installing as it`s all new, empty and clean but 5yrs later it ain`t so fine for me or the customer.

Had one this morning with a Sanislim shoehorned in behind it, luckily for me I could reach the problem area otherwise it would of meant pan and pump coming out as one. That`s fine when installing as it`s all new, empty and clean but 5yrs later it ain`t so fine for me or the customer.

Yuk!

The flue is definitely too close to the opening but I'm not sure that plume kit installation was the right solution.

It does look a bit too close even with the kit.

dont think the window opens, only top opener

dont think the window opens, only top opener

You're quite right. I've always taken it as the whole window (building opening) as that's what I was taught at college. I've just checked BS5440 and it's only the opening section of the window itself that counts - Good to know. A bit of a misunderstanding with terminology there, luckily I've never had to change my plan A on the basis of it. Every days a school day.

It does still look a bit close for the 150mm allowance for structural and temperature issues though. I know it's unlikely to cause any issues, especially with the flue temperature of modern boilers, but rules is rules.

It's the route of the kit that made me chuckle, it must have been a right pain cutting it through the gutter. At least it's not cast iron like the main roof gutter.

You're quite right. I've always taken it as the whole window (building opening) as that's what I was taught at college. I've just checked BS5440 and it's only the opening section of the window itself that counts - Good to know. A bit of a misunderstanding with terminology there, luckily I've never had to change my plan A on the basis of it. Every days a school day.

It does still look a bit close for the 150mm allowance for structural and temperature issues though. I know it's unlikely to cause any issues, especially with the flue temperature of modern boilers, but rules is rules.

It's the route of the kit that made me chuckle, it must have been a right pain cutting it through the gutter. At least it's not cast iron like the main roof gutter.

think that was to take in effect if the window gets changed etc and still a great pic

think that was to take in effect if the window gets changed

Seem to remember an installer being taken to court because a window in a hotel was changed after the installation. It`s in an old thread somewhere.

That's the thing isn't it whatever you install shouldn't prevent a neighbour altering their property

Seem to remember an installer being taken to court because a window in a hotel was changed after the installation. It`s in an old thread somewhere.

yea thats why if close to a window ie top open take a pic of the window with he flue in place as no come back then

It just goes to show, it never hurts to be more cautious. Luckily it's never been an issue for me, I think i'll still carry on as before, but have the allowance in the back of my mind for that one job and make sure i've got my phone with me. :wink5:

That was in Newquay and there was more to it than the window if I remember correctly.

gasmeter.jpg

iso valve on the gas line

but bet you the paints sealed it :D

Think the clue is in the bottom right hand corner. lol

Why have 2 iso valves back to back?

Think the clue is in the bottom right hand corner. lol

Why have 2 iso valves back to back?

test point mate

A quick google says they are ok. Surprised that's all.

the only iso valve on the gas line (closest the boiler eg left one) is not allowed but the test point is for working standing pressures (right/ lowest on the gas pipe)

Yeah ISO on the gas pipe above an isolatable test point, hopefully I'll be ripping it all out tomorrow and sticking a new boiler in anyway

Yeah ISO on the gas pipe above an isolatable test point, hopefully I'll be ripping it all out tomorrow and sticking a new boiler in anyway

hope your leaving the iso in easy to change, dont have to turn the meter/ecv off :D

Well you know I would do but the new boilers going in upstairs as the kitchen needs gutting ;)

shame as them hand painted tiles will get damaged in the process :D

A leak I was called to after a plumber repaired it 2 weeks ago
131670b068b218429ece9c88b18c9a01.jpg

He had just resoldered the reducer without removing and cleaning etc and when he couldn't stop the drip he simply left a deep sandwich box underneath it (gatepost guarantee) which took 2 weels to fill and overflow through the ceiling again
Also in the next joist was this
ae2463c152c4b9201a67d7ad218e629a.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/03/05/8ad698b25af887781866c2e9cf0e4a40.jpg[/IMGpair of flexis joining some rad drops, which were also leaking
Whilst draining down I managed to give his car a wash at the same time (ends of hoses jumping around due to air in system)
[IMG]http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/03/05/d8fb9ed5156c5f4d536ae792928f101d.jpg
Cut out the 28mm tee and replaced, also got rid of the flexis and rigid piped it
Was only supposed to be a leak on a rad ffs

Last edited:
Bet he loved the inhibitor on the paint work!

Some people are just to lazy to do what they are paid for, did you keep the plastic tub lol

Yeah, it was a probly a M&S one, not your usual takeaway container
(up market part of Cardiff, 6 or 7 bedder, dentists, minted)

Some from the last couple of weeks

a76a1143e424bbca774f546ee74a4180.jpg

3ed60b0d5cdde54e2f4271debe758611.jpg

8ce2c44fc8d32666fcc01ed6837cbc3d.jpg

218bf02cf09845b9da5076251f2517e4.jpg

Also had a cylinder that had been connected to mains water pressure bypassing the tank in the loft.

Plus a flexicom with no condense connected that had been leaking for a good while under kitchen units

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to HALL of SHAME PHOTo`s in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Good afternoon all, First time posting on this site. I’m need of some opinions from Gas engineers if possible. My house is 1930s (I think). I...
Replies
Views
Good Afternoon all, I am hopeful someone may be able to offer some guidance on the following. In the home we have a gas boiler (serviced...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise...
Replies
Views
My living room smells like a sewer but I can't tell where it is coming from. Not sure where to start looking. The saniflo discharge pipe runs...
Replies
Views
We have an all Vaillant setup - an EcoTEC Plus 637 system boiler plus wired VR720 and VR92 SensoCOMFORT controller, driving two CH zones plus DHW...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock