Discuss Header tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SurreyWinter

A couple of days back I had a plumber around to sort out a leak in my loft. Turned out to be a the top of the cold water header tank (with a pile of insulation foam) that had collapsed into the tank and as a result had caused the stopcock to be blocked into "on" position. Combined with the fact that the overflow pipe was also blocked by insulation foam had led the the tank overflowing and causing the hall ceiling below to collapse.

Anyway he's now recommending replacing the cold water header tank with a sealed unit costing around £300 + labour. Is this replacement necessary and is this a reasonable price to pay?

Meaning fitting an expansion vessel? That's not necessary just buy a rigid lid for it so nothing can fall in again

Meaning fitting an expansion vessel? That's not necessary just buy a rigid lid for it so nothing can fall in again

That's one line of thinking that I'm going through - give it a good clean, a new solid lid and put fresh insulation around it.

My other line is to wonder whether I'm being offered an expansion vessel (I'm sure that's what he called it) at more than it really costs.

I’ve had this a couple of times over the last month with dodgy lids falling in to the tank & jamming the ball cock on. I just advise the custy to let me fit a nice strong lid & decent insulation.

End of problem.:):)

Where did expansion vessel come into it??????

I think he means sealed unit by a water tank thats got a lid a coffin style maybe with a very small access lid to it but it has a breather pipe in it.

A fairish price maybe a bit ott get other quotes in

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve had this a couple of times over the last month with dodgy lids falling in to the tank & jamming the ball cock on. I just advise the custy to let me fit a nice strong lid & decent insulation.

End of problem.:):)

Thanks

What sort of thing do you use as a lid? Obviously I could just get a decent sized piece of timber, place it on the top and then get some new lagging to wrap around the tank (I assume that's needed) but wondered if there's an obvious alternative.

My other line is to wonder whether I'm being offered an expansion vessel (I'm sure that's what he called it) at more than it really costs.

He is offering you something he needs more than you do.

Forget his advice. It is not needed. Buy a lid and a new jacket. As it is the heating header tank it does not necessarily have to be close fitting.
Look here
Water Storage Tanks & Insulation

A bit cheaper than £300 + eh;)
I really hate rip off merchants.

Just a minute give the plumber a break here thats quoteing this job!

He may well have his price out a little here but we are not sure of the state of this job and what he charges for his rates ok.

The customer THINKS he called it an expansion vessel do you not think he said feed and expansion tank and so the plumber will be going along the right track?

Just a minute give the plumber a break here thats quoteing this job!

He may well have his price out a little here but we are not sure of the state of this job and what he charges for his rates ok.

The customer THINKS he called it an expansion vessel do you not think he said feed and expansion tank and so the plumber will be going along the right track?

Customer admits to be a little confused (sorry!) as to what it was called and as I was being told the benefits of eventually replacing the lot with a megaflow system may well have got completely confused. It was described as a sealled unit with an access hatch to put your hand in for servicing with built in insulation.

Having just had the hard sell and nodded I now feel the need to actually understand what is going on!

He is offering you something he needs more than you do.

Forget his advice. It is not needed. Buy a lid and a new jacket. As it is the heating header tank it does not necessarily have to be close fitting.

Sorry - I may not have been clear - its the tank for the cold water supply to the house - not the heating.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll start again then the way i understood the post

" Turned out to be a the top of the cold water header tank"
Header tank as in F&E? or could that be header tank as in cistern?
"
My other line is to wonder whether I'm being offered an expansion vessel (I'm sure that's what he called it)"
Expansion vessel, or expansion tank?
"
I think he means sealed unit by a water tank thats got a lid a coffin style maybe with a very small access lid to it but it has a breather pipe in it."
Even if he did why change a tank that just needs a lid unless it is galvanised (no mention of the bottom ready to fall out it) or he needs the work (and the money)
"
A fairish price maybe a bit ott get other quotes in"

A 250% mark up on tank and materials ie ball cock tank connector/s and bylaw kit couple of fittings??? or even worse for an expansion vessel a 1000% mark up. Spin the work out for a day and there is another 2 or 3 hundred. All for the sake of a lid.
Well fair price for a job that should cost no more than £100.

Surreywinter
As long as the tank is not galvanised, measure your tank. There may be a label stuck to the side of it with the make and model. Pop down to any local plumbers merchants and see if they can supply one and fit it yourself.
If the tank is galvanised get a quote from a reputable plumber.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Header tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock