Search the forum,

Discuss HELP Downstairs flat stop my water!!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Janie

Hi

My downstairs neighbours are council benefit folk and they put a new bathroom suite in themselves (council didn't do it). When they turn on their water the water in my bathroom completely stops, including my shower. What can I do, how do I check it is nothing to do with my flat?. Their water comes from a tank in the roof above my flat. I have a stopcock thingy in my flat and it is fully opened.

Hope somebody can help

Thanks

Jane

Do you share the same cold inlet pipe ? if they have hooked up a new shower to the mains instead of from their tank this could reduce your pressure. Have you spoke to them ? does it completely stop? you really need a plumber to give a proffesional opinion of their install and see what they have done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi John

Thanks for the reply. It is weird because sometimes they run their water and my water reduces but the last time it went off completely. I don't know if I share the same cold water inlet pipe. It is an old flat and the pipes go through the roof where the tank is via my flat and into their flat downstairs. It's plumbing spaghetti junction under my sink and I don't know what all the pipes are for. Is there a way I can make sure the problem is not in my flat before I moan to the council.

Thanks

Jane

Hi Janie , I don't know what the problemis tbh, and is very hard to tell without seeing it , one of the more experienced plumbers maybe able to help as I am a relative newbie , though if its council I would get someone to look at it and the neighbours installation too.

Hi Janie and welcome [woman moan !!! heaven forbid:rolleyes::rolleyes:] only kidding:)I agree with JohnMcginty in his post it would appear you share the same cold water rising main do you have a combi boiler by the way as this would account for loss of both hot and cold supplies? are your neighbours approachable if not just inform your council who will have to step in and resolve this issue as they have a duty as your land lord:)regards turnpin

Hi

Yes I do have a combi boiler - think I might just call the council tomorrow. Thanks for the help

Jane

Just knock their door and ask them to turn the main stopcock on more, Probably just open a crack so when they run their taps it starves yours as there is not enough flow.

Follow Tamz advice. At the very least, then you have dialogue about the issue.

You really should have your own supply. It might be worth looking into it. Long term advice though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to HELP Downstairs flat stop my water!!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock