Search the forum,

Discuss Help needed please - new boiler install looks wrong. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

Hi, I'm looking for some advice as I'm worried my builder / plumber are going to leave me with inadequate plumbing / hot water at the end of a building job. Bear with me as I'm not sure exactly what info to provide so hopefully what I've said below will make sense.

I'm having an extension built on to the side of my 3 bed semi, giving us an extra shower room, utility, bedroom and large kitchen diner. As a part of this work we've had our water main renewed, it was lead and is now 25mm (I think) plastic. I'm told this has improved the incoming pressure. We also have a new Worcester 42CDi classic combi installed in the utility at the back of the house, approx 16 metres from the incoming main.

Now we get to the problem part, the pressure isn't what I expected so for example the shower works OK but the pressure drops off significantly when another cold tap is run, I expect this with a combi but the situation is worse than with our old lead main and smaller glow worm boiler. Cold water pressure seems good. Looking at the plumbing what they have done is run 15mm plastic from the stop tap at the front all the way to the boiler with all of the other cold water feeds coming off this (all 15 mm also) before reaching the boiler. The hot water feed then comes back towards the front of the house also in 15 mm.

From what I've read here and on other sites this doesn't seem to be the way it should be done and we should have had a dedicated cold water feed to the boiler somehow.

I would like to know that I'm doing the right thing in raising this with them so any advice would be much appreciated. Both on what the plumbing should be and how best to tackle the builder about this.

I'm stressing a bit at the idea of having to sort this out as some ceilings have now been plastered and there'll be a lot of rework but I'm not sure I could live with a badly done job. The rest of the building work seems fine, all been inspected by the council etc and I have no problems, but the builder changed plumber half way through and I think the original guy was not up to scratch.

Thank you.

Youll have to register fully and try and provide images.
But i would say at the outset - work with your builder and plumber and raise any concerns as soon as you discover them.
It's always best to work with them as a simple explanation at the early stages could allay your fears

As above but I think you are right to have concerns. You need to take in to account your static and dynamic pressure and flow rates but running any great distance in 15mm will reduce your flow rate especially with multiple draw offs that will affect your dynamic pressure. As said register with the forum or you wont receive any help or advice and post some pictures and perhaps some more specific info regarding length of pipe runs etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help needed please - new boiler install looks wrong. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a "Firebird Envirogreen Condensing Combi Oil Boiler 26kW" a part has went and I can't find it anywhere, I was at every plumbers merchant near me but they all need to ring Firebird who are closed till next week. I wonder if anyone can help me find this part please? It's a pressure sensor...
Replies
Views
I have just had a boiler, hot water tank and power shower pump replaced on advice by my plumber. I have two separate boilers, heat/hotwater systems in the house. This boiler was replaced by a combi boiler as it only heats the lounge and master bed and provides hot water to en-suite bathroom and...
Replies
Views
Looking for any ideas to help. I've a Heatrae Sadia Hot Water tank, heated through Oil fired boiler (working fine). A week ago I reset the air gap as I was having dripping from the pressure relief valve. Since then I've lost a lot of pressure from the hot water feed to my shower. The rest of...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need some urgent advice. I've Just come home after going out for evening, to discover hallway floor and kitchen floor covered in water. On further inspection I discovered that water was coming from boiler cupboard. On looking in boiler cupboard I found boiler has started leaking water...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment with a cold water tank. The cold water tank feeds the cold water tap in the sink and the bath. Recently, I refurbished my bathroom, and according to the plumber who fitted the new taps, high-pressure taps were fitted. Consequently, the water from taps is of a low volume...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock