Discuss Help UFH installation in the Water Underfloor Heating Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

N

Nawaz Ahm

Hi - some advice would be appreciated.

We are doing a refurb and are having water based underfloor heating installed.

The top layer will be 15mm engineered wood (floating).

Our builder has done things in a backward way so I need advice on what is the best solution given the circumstances.

Builder has installed 100mm of foil backed insulation and then 100mm of sand & cement screed. I have 2 options

1) He is proposing to staple 16mm pipes to the screed and pour 25mm of self leveling screed on top of the pipes.

2) install 20mm wundatherm insulation boards, 3mm breathable underlay & then the top layer.

Which is better solution and is 25mm enough for liquid screed.

Ripping up the existing screed is not an option unfortunately.

Any advice would be appreciated

I would call up one of the UFH manufacturers or suppliers and discuss it with them, try Uheat . I'm pretty sure you can't staple pipes to screed and then self level over. It would need to be a retrospective type system. There's loads on the market, usually about 18mm thick with groves to accommodate 12mm pipes. Some are foams based for floating floors, we often fit a heavy duty/concrete based board and just liquid screed over it for a smooth finish. Definitely worth talking to some suppliers for option, don't forget thermostat locations, zoning and make sure the heating system is split if you have radiators in the rest of the house. We go to loads of 'builders' UFH systems that are done very poorly.

Bar ripping the screed up and making him do it properly, only option left is over floor/underfloor as Ind said but then have you got the floor height to accommodate another 50mm of screed which pipes are supposed to be in for protection and to stop the screed cracking from the heat?

Only option is a overlay system Omnie do this one as below it's one of the lowest build up height systems available, be careful choosing you're engineered timber floor it's moisture level must not be higher than 8 - 10% and gently, gently with the first switch on

Attachments

• IMG_20220308_200536424.jpg
    IMG_20220308_200536424.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20220308_200523829.jpg
    IMG_20220308_200523829.jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20220308_195800496.jpg
    IMG_20220308_195800496.jpg
    687.4 KB · Views: 10

Reply to Help UFH installation in the Water Underfloor Heating Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Evening all, I’m currently in the process of refurbing my house, and have opted to wet UFH for the whole of the downstairs. The upstairs will be...
Replies
Views
Hi all! So yes, Richter level 7 earthquake at least. I need to plan an underfloor heating for a 4x4 expedition/overlanding off-road vehicle, and...
Replies
Views
B
  • Question
Hi, I need some advice on what wet UFH system to get for our renovation of a 1970s 3 bed bungalow. The house had subsidence so in the process of...
Replies
Views
Got an underfloor heating to install and Ive done a few repairs on manifolds etc but this is the first design and install for me. Advice and tip...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. A slight conundrum im hoping to get some educated advice on from people who actually know. Ill be having the whole of my...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock