Search the forum,

Discuss Help with tap? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Davalan

Hi

I wonder if anyone could help me with a simple problem please.
The upper part of my sink tap has come loose and I can't figure out how to get to the nut/screw to tighten it. It looks as though the top cap should come off but it doesn't want to and I don't want to force it. It's a Bristan tap. I have searched the web to try to solve the problem but no joy.
Photo attached.

Thanks

Attachments

• tap.jpg
    tap.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 71
A strap wrench might help you unscrew the top chromed part.
The wrench if you don't know is really just a rubber strap on a handle and don't cost much.
It did the job for me on similar taps that the top bit had well seized. Anything else would have damaged the top

Thanks all for the reply's. The chrome cap is perfectly smooth so I can't grip it. It's certainly not loose. I'll get hold of a wrench as Best has suggested and give that a try.

Thanks Again.

Or if you first try using gloves as Alex suggested and still no luck, then try putting a few turns of electrical insulating tape just around the top part, making the tape a bit randomly overlapping and lumpy to aid a really good grip

Last edited:
have worked on that type before but can't remember,so if it doesn't come off as said above,get a small screwdriver and see if the top flips off or the brass bit unscrews clockwise or it the whole head just pulls off, let us know please, might need some grips.

pretty certain that the above is correct, the top chrome cap screws off with difficulty. 10+ year old Bristan Omega Taps me thinks

SOLUTION
I tried a strap wrench but it kept slipping off. In the end an old adjustable wrench was able to get some bite on an edge and the chrome cap unscrewed anticlockwise as was thought. See Photo.
Thanks for all the help.

Attachments

• tap1.jpg
    tap1.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 36
Glad you finally got the top off. I also found the strap wrench to slip off the rounded top piece, but I kept trying it numerous times until I unscrewed it.
When you refit the top piece, or any of the head parts, use a dab of Vaseline or silicone grease on the threads and spindle end, etc. That way, it will all come apart for some lucky person next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help with tap? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADJUST THIS MIXER UNIT? WE HAVE TO HAVE IT TURNED ALMOST FULLY ANTI CLOCKWISE TO GET HOT WATEROUT. THE FRONT PLATE WITH MIRA ON IT PRISES OFF AND INSIDE THERE ARE SOME PLASTIC BITS AND A SMALL CROSS-HEAD SCREW IN THE MIDDLE. THANKS
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock