Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Horizontal Unvented Indirect Hot Water Cylinder that is at least 150 Litres in size in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

moley

Hello I'm Moley from Aberdeenshire .

I've just moved house and this one has got solid fuel central heating / oil fired and we want to move the hot water tank up the loft . At the moment its in a cupboard in the living room which is not the best place for it.

But the big problem we have is there is not much hight up in the loft, so do you get a Horizontal Unvented Indirect Hot Water Cylinder that is at least 150 Litres in size .

Thanks for any help ,

Moley.

Re: Horizontal Unvented Indirect Hot Water Cylinder that is at least 150 Litres in si

Hi Moley,
I replied to your last post. Yes there are horizontal un-vented hot water cylinders. I cover your area also ;0)

This is going to be one for the HEATAS boys because of the solid fuel alliance.

I would of thought the proximity of the cylinder is a safety feature and will prob need to be inspected by someone who has alot more knowledge than me!

Re: Horizontal Unvented Indirect Hot Water Cylinder that is at least 150 Litres in si

Hi Moley,
I replied to your last post. Yes there are horizontal un-vented hot water cylinders. I cover your area also ;0)

Thanks for your 2 replies , Have you got ant idea where would be best to get one from ?

Thanks for your 2 replies , Have you got ant idea where would be best to get one from ?

My advice was to get a heatas registered installer to check the feasibility of what you want to do. And most importantly. The safety. Do a search on YouTube for exploding water heater.

Well its only going directly above the one I've got in my living room , so why would that be a problem ?

So you currently have an unvented cylinder? Or a vented cylinder?

Well its only going directly above the one I've got in my living room , so why would that be a problem ?

Because you said it is connected to a solid fuel appliance. Because this is the case you have to make sure the system is designed to work on convection. Utilising a special coil within the cylinder. And also the ability to heat the water in the cylinder to a high temp. All in all. The uvhws isn't designed for this.

BUT if you find yourself a good heatas installer they will advise you of how you can achieve what you want

Could you just clarify what heating appliances you have. After reading your op it's a little conflicting

Do you have an oil boiler?
Do you also have a second solid fuel boiler?

I always thought you cannot have a solid fuel boiler feeding an unvented hot water cylinder.

I always thought you cannot have a solid fuel boiler feeding an unvented hot water cylinder.

The only way I know of is using an h2 panel, they have an option specifically for the un vented.

SimonJohns types quicker than me and more specific !!

SimonG knows more than me lol.

What do you have at the moment Moley?
What solid fuel?
What boiler?
What cylinder? Vented or un-vented?

Cheers

I have a solid fuel coal fire and I also have oil heating , both do the radiators and the hot water , as for the cylinder I have no idea if it vented or not , how do I find that out ?? The boiler is a Camray Compact , but I want to replace this with one that can go outside the house . We also get our water from a well and the water pressure is poor , so we also need to look into a pump that will give us more pressure for the whole house , any ideas ? LOL

Doesn't sound good for an un-vented cylinder. You thought about a combi outside boiler? If its space your looking for?

You cannot connect an unvented cylinder to a coal fire. It is not allowed, even if you don't like the neighbours. Get someone in who knows what they are doing.

Simon Hetas means nothing much up here. No requirement.

I suggest you get Tamz in.

Ok so what would you suggest to sort my problem ? and could I do what I wanted to with a vented one ?

As you can see I have NO idea what I'm talking about :laugh3:

So this must mean my one in the living room is vented ??

[video=youtube;rGWmONHipVo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGWmONHipVo[/video]

big bang

Depends what height you have in your attic. for cylinder and tank.

Too far for me Simon.

You would be better getting someone local in to discuss your options and give you a price.

Depends what height you have in your attic. for cylinder and tank.

I would of thought it was more to do with the length and size and route of primary's

Well it does, but he is saying the cylinder can be fitted directly above where it is just now. And i'm guessing its not sitting on the floor. But that's the whole thing here... without actually going to site and viewing the job, it pretty much is a guess. What he also quoted was that the cylinder would have to go horizontal. ( Im guessing, this can not be done) as previously stated.

We have only about 1M of hight for the cylinder thats why it has to be horizontal thats the space we have if we keep it close to the fire .

Also I thought we could get rid of the cold water tank , no ??

Mitchellplumber: do you have much exp of solid fuel heating systems

Also I thought we could get rid of the cold water tank , no ??

No. There are other options but none of them cheap. Get someone in as if you want to do this, it is not a diy thing.

I live in the highlands of scotland.... i'm sure i've come across a few in my time. ;0) SimonJohns: Do you?

Clearly not as much as you. But I wouldn't be fitting a uvhws to a coal fire

And i've already stated that this can not be done... If you read the last question, he asked if this can be achieved with a vented cylinder. Having it horizontal in the attic.

The cylinder we have at the moment is a wolseley open vented indirect double feed coil , so can I have the same as that but a horizontal one

probably, but you'll need to get a heating engineer out to check it will fit and for piping and storage tank height.

I've just used another option that seams to be working alright with solid fuel and unvented cylinder. Its a heat transfer unitt

Last edited by a moderator:

Do tell more ^^^^^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Horizontal Unvented Indirect Hot Water Cylinder that is at least 150 Litres in size in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I'm looking for a water pump to pump water from a storage tank at a constant 3 bar pressure. It's at a campsite I run that's at the bottom of...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock