Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Hot Water / Heating Advise Please - Old Baxi Back Boiler on Y-Plan in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Richard at Home

Hi Guys I hope your all keeping well

I would like a little advise from you on this subject if you do not mind.

In my other property i have an old Y-Plan open vented central heating system, (Baxi Back Boiler). My tenants have the hot water on constantly (Gas) on the timer with the heating ( Rads ) as they always like to have hot water on tap

The 2 Hot water on off cycles of the timer is not enough.

( I know need a combi boiler )

Now this situation causes the following problem.

As the tank stat triggers a demand for hot water wile the heating is on ( Often happen ) the motor valve goes into mid position to supply hot water to the cylinder and the radiators

But as the supply to the Hot water tank is 22mm direct back to the boiler. This causes all the rads to go off or nearly off as there is far more back pressure on the 15mm radiator circuits than the 22mm Hot water Tank and return to boiler.

So im my mind the hot water is just taking the path of least resistance back to the bolier and heating just the hot water.

What advise can you give.

The layout is just standard simple layout with 8 radiators

Thanks

Richard

No there is not and i did think about this but i was unsure if this was a std practice

Where would this be fitted on this basic picture

Thanks
yplanschem.gif

How's your other project coming along Richard?

Hi Danny, Thanks for asking. I have not started it yet as my Honeywell bypass valve was ot delivered and my daughters car ( Peugeot HDI ) developed anti Pollution fault with the DPF ( Diesel Particulate Filter ) so i had to sort that out, Then i had to do a service on my VW Golf HDI MK6, each task robbing my weekends.

Just this weekend i have been decorating the front room as wife has ordered some new oak furniture

But it is still on the Project List for this year

So watch this space....

On the return after the cylinder

Would this balancing vale be in seiris with the 22mm as a restriction to the return flow?

Like a gate valve sort of thing ?

Or is my understanding incorrect ?

Regards Richard

gate valve on the return as it exits the cylinder in a perfect world it would be a locksheild gate valve

Thanks Steve for the advise, I need to brake into the system anyway to change a rad so i will add one at this time
Regards

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hot Water / Heating Advise Please - Old Baxi Back Boiler on Y-Plan in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

When I put the central heating on the hot water gets drawn through the pump but is then being diverted straight back to the boiler instead of the...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Hi all, just moved a radiator from one wall to another, straight forward job, heating is working, problem is that on turning on a hot water tap...
Replies
Views
So a strange conundrum regarding water temp if anyone can help resolve, would be much appreciated. Ive tried to give as much info as possible to...
Replies
Views
Hello. I've just replaced our old Potterton EP2 CH controller with a Drayton Wiser HubR (& peripherals). The old backing plate wasn't...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock