Discuss Hot water low flow throughout the house (not combi boiler) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

colgster

Hi all,

New to this forum... but for a reason. I am living in rented and the house has a boiler downstairs and storage upstairs (floor level upstairs).

I noticed when we moved in that the hot water in the kitchen (downstairs) had low water flow and when the cold water was opened, the hot pipe went cold with the force of the cold making its way back up the hot pipe. The landlord couldnt; explain it (i originally thought the hot water was on a undersink heater due to the delay in supply after closing the cold tap).

when a plumber visited on another issue, I asked him and he suggested the kitchen tap is for a combi boiler, hence almost mains on hot and cold.

Not happy with the verdict, I compared the bathroom sink and bath to the kitchen, all very low flow. Now, following a visit to my parents house near london, i noticed that their hot water is high flow (same setup, boiler, storage etc). Only difference is the tank is at waist level upstairs. The pipes to the taps are the same in both houses (15mm i believe).

If I had to find out where a restriction on the hot water flow is, where could I start? the header tank in the loft? could it be furred up pipes through the water tank? I am in cheshire, so the water is from wales, not as hard as down south, thats for sure. I can't see any valves which I can fiddle with (one half open or something stupid)

The only thing I could think to help the situation is convince my landlord to go halves on a pump on the water tank output.

Thanks for reading my lengthy post, any ideas welcomed!!

Hmm!

Can't say for sure,but it might be that the sink mixer is none bi-flow. In other words the cold mains water mixes with the hot water and drives it back up the hot pipe. The simplest thing would be to change the mixer taps for a bi-flow mixer.

That is perhaps one problem but you seem to have more than one problem.

If I am reading things right you seem to be supposing the hot water cylinder is the storage cistern (tank) which supplies it. A header tank is usually a small central heating cistern in the roof space. The cold water storage cistern that supplies the hot water cylinder with water is usually also in the roof space but much bigger than a header tank. Check its filling and its full, also nothing is blocking the cylinder cold feed outlet. Check all valves are fully open.

Check for air locks. Check valves in the airing cupboard on the cylinder cold feed are open. If not any of these come back on.

As to "furring". Usually in the North West most of the water like Liverpool's is "soft" but not all and lime-scale isn't really a problem. So look in the kettle for lime-scale. If its there the pipes could be furred up.

Thanks for the reply...

Right, following a ganders at Domestic Hot Water Systems

I am thinking the system is vented (pipes goto roof) and it is an indirect system. (coil heats cylinder)

I had a play last night and there is a valve which won't budge. All others are about 1/2 to 1 turn from fully open which i beleive is correct to prevent siezing etc.

I will have a look at this one which won't budge and I'll try and get up in the loft as the cistern supplying the ehad of hot water flow might be half full / restricted by a valve maybe?

Failing these, badger my landlord or save a bit to have a plumber come in a assess so i have a professionals opinion for my landlord.

further to this, my aerial is not leaking water down the cable after it lashed it down last night!! another issue!! (not down the cable, literally, through the plastic core next to the copper and into the coax fitting on the end!!)

It is hard to trace the pipework as it seems to have been hurried (electrical valve control box not even fitted to the wall, just left sitting on the floow with wires entering it!) which i'm sure is not good.

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hot water low flow throughout the house (not combi boiler) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock