Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss How close can a gas pipe be to a hob in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

samsparks

What are the exact regs on proximity of gas pipe to gas hob

Scenario is a 22mm gas pipe exits wall on the right hand side of the hob at work top level, it then rises up the wall on the surface 500mm before it elbows left across the hob towards a boiler. In short if your standing in front of hob the pipe runs from right to left 500mm above above hob clipped to wall. My understanding is a pipe can't be located in a hot zone, 100 degrees or more but if temperature is below this it's ok

I have measured temperature next to pipe with all hobs going full tilt and the temp gets to 30 degrees so I believe it to be safe? Thoughts please

is it not covered in ige/up/1b. 1.7 or the viper book!

Last edited by a moderator:
is it not covered in ige/up/1b. 1.7 or the viper book!

Thanks for the prompt reply Redsaw but can you be a bit more specific, I rang gas safe about it and they said a pipe can't be located in a hot zone, a hot zone was 100 degrees or more so get your temp probe out put the four gas rings on and measure temp. All is therefore fine just wanted some opinions from some people with more experience than me.

Yes GDS registered, not very pretty but stainless steel work tops so forced to work with exit point of present gas supply, I could have it rises a little higher than 500mm above hob but after gas safe saying what they said I have stuck with it. Client will remove gas hob in next 6 months as kitchen is being relocated so not worried about looks, just safety. Logically if surface of pipe is 30 degrees with all four hobs on what can b the problem.

My way of looking at things is " if it dont look right or if I have to ask a question, it probably isnt right, to be honest gas pipe over hob isnt really a good thing to most sane people.

Pipe should be located so that it is free from mechanical damage. Food hygiene requires that surfaces adjacent to food preparation areas be of suitable materials, and that corrosion not cause and chemicals or foreign hazards enter the food area. Copper will oxidise and copper 2 sulphate will form when in contact with stainless steel and acidic food vapours. This should be an issue for building control and or environmental health.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How close can a gas pipe be to a hob in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Our House is now fully Heat Pumped, insulated and we have had the Gas Meter Removed. We have a 1950s foldaway Cannon Gas Grill which is on the...
Replies
Views
I have decided to remove the timber floor boards and joists as they are effected by damp and rotting. Was hoping to infill and have slab and...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I have the following system boiler setup with a low loss header and four different circuits. I've set the boiler flow to different...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Looking for a bit of advice on the best way to pipe this. - 24kW Worcester regular boiler in kitchen, approx. 9 years old - unvented...
Replies
Views
Hi, Im a homeowner and have had a new shower installed. This meant the installation of a new radiator also. However, the plumber has placed the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock