Discuss How do I get a new flexible hose to engage without leaking to inlet valve bottom entry? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

The inlet valve bottom entry to toilet cistern developed a drip that flowed under toilet and dampened grout on tiles. Initially I could not figure where leak was so fearing it was an underfloor pipe I called out the original plumber from 13 years ago. Turns out it was the inlet valve to cistern. Plumber replaced pipe with a new flexible hose, told me keep and eye on it, charged me and left. A few hours later I noticed it was still leaking at inlet. New hose was finger tight, plumber not responding, may be too busy, doing a full house apparently. Can I assume the plastic thread on the inlet is kaput, I tried plumbers tape, I tried fernox etc all to no avail. My eyesight is fading so I am not even sure new hose is screwed on square. I had a good look at inlet valve and I'd say I can replace it myself but need to get correct one. . I am attaching a few images, of valve by R&T., inlet screw on to cistern, its got some tape on it since removed, and the new hose fitting. Can I assume its 1/2 size? And a final pic of a go daddy with a brass fitting, is this ok?

And as I have the weekend any final tips on how I can make existing leak free!!

Attachments

• IMG_7163.PNG
    IMG_7163.PNG
    298.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7164.PNG
    IMG_7164.PNG
    233.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7165.PNG
    IMG_7165.PNG
    233.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7167.PNG
    IMG_7167.PNG
    387.6 KB · Views: 18
If the nut on the flexi is tight and you can still move the flexi then it is not right. When fitting nut to inlet valve turn it anti-clockwise until you hear/feel a click then tighten as normal. I go handtight then nip it up with a spanner whilst making sure the valve stem doesn`t turn.

Thank you both, I changed it to a brass version and all good now. Why do they use plastic? Still no news from plumber but the item only cost me €9 euro and I am sure he would have charged a bit more to change it and I learnt a bit about dual flush cisterns.

In a word I am " delighted" with myself. SWMBO is gobsmacked.

Well done! If I am ever supplied with a valve with plastic thread to connect to a metal nut I always advise against it. These plastic threads especially on toilet inlet valves are a liability. The plastic becomes brittle and eventually cracks sometimes causing a major disaster.

Whoever thought it was a good idea to make these valve tails in plastic wants taking out back and having a word with!

You've absolutely done the right thing fitting a valve with a brass shank instead of another plastic one. Sometimes the plastic thread even looks OK but it can have a crack between the threads and leak everywhere.

Reply to How do I get a new flexible hose to engage without leaking to inlet valve bottom entry? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Just had a new bathroom installed with a toilet bowl that reaches the back wall. Its has a bottom entry cold feed to the cistern. The fitter...
Replies
Views
R
Hi all. I'm having issues with the Flomasta bottom-entry fill valve in a toilet; the 'float' comes up but doesn't have any effect, it simply won't...
Replies
Views
J
I have an Arteform shower valve in my bathroom - top lever for the main shower head, middle for the handheld hose and bottom is the thermostatic...
Replies
Views
Hi If anyone can give me any advise on how to stop a leak please ? I have just installed a new Fluidmaster 400 float valve bottom entry brass...
Replies
Views
Any plumbers can advise the best way to convert the current mixer valve tap to cold water supply inlet for electric shower. I have mixer valve...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock