Search the forum,

Discuss How do I isolate on an Aga heated hot water system? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan_the_plumber

Gas Engineer
I'm a plumber, been asked fit shower in customers house where hot water is supplied by Aga.
I had planned on isolating cold water supply to hot water storage tank and then drawing off some hot water unitll hot supply stops.
However then i found this advice on your website:
The water supply to the house is to be off for a short while. What should we do?
The AGA may be left on, preferably turned down low. Do not draw any hot water off.
I wondered why i should not draw off hot water?
If i cant do that how do i isolate the hot supply?
Can i turn the aga off? How do I re-light it?
Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated
Thanks very much...Dan

Turn off demand via the stat on aga, let cool. Temparary isolate fuel supply, still Letting it cool. Buy a freezing kit, use a plumbers freind kit, cut a gate valve into pipe work, and happy days. THIS IS PROVIDING ITS OIL OR GAS OR YOUR QUICK ON SOLIDS
The question you asked about not being able to turn off cold water supply to drain, is that if it is soild fuel, and that the fire is stoked, and you drain the system, there is no stat to control heat at the boiler and can cause boiler in aga to split, boil like youve never heard before and causing ...........................................................

Is the cylinder direct or indirect,most of the aga's i have seen are direct into the cylinder as they have a ceramic pot boiler which keeps the domestic hot clean for use.You should never cut valves into any hot pipes direct or indirect.You are only fitting a shower not emptying the primarys.so whether its oil or gas turn it down to its lowest settings and run the domestic hot until the cylinder cools then isolate your incoming cold mains to the cylinder.Drain off some more domestic hot until it stops running and fit your essex or warwick flange into the cylinder.If its solid fuel make sure the fire is well out before you do anything.Oil aga,s can be a bugger to relight at times

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably better to have the Aga turned off totally if it is oil or solid fuel. Don't use an Essex flange as the heat will wreck their washers, especially high on the side of cylinder & heated with an Aga! Read the details of Esssex flanges, as it says, not for heat above 60 or 65 degrees I think. Use, as last reply said, the easier to fit Warix or Surrey flange (whatever fits pipework best).
If it is an oil Aga, let it cool, before attempting to light it. Secret is to turn oil on a long time, so as to soak wicks, then light it.

Ok great thanks for all replies that certainly gives me something to work with and sort of confirms what I thought originally

Thanks very much....Dan

Is the cylinder direct or indirect,most of the aga's i have seen are direct into the cylinder as they have a ceramic pot boiler which keeps the domestic hot clean for use.You should never cut valves into any hot pipes direct or indirect.You are only fitting a shower not emptying the primarys.so whether its oil or gas turn it down to its lowest settings and run the domestic hot until the cylinder cools then isolate your incoming cold mains to the cylinder.Drain off some more domestic hot until it stops running and fit your essex or warwick flange into the cylinder.If its solid fuel make sure the fire is well out before you do anything.Oil aga,s can be a bugger to relight at times
Sorry about that ,i always got my surrey warwick essex names mixed up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How do I isolate on an Aga heated hot water system? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock