Discuss How do you itemise quotes? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

beesley121

Hi Guys,

ive just have someone a price for a boiler swap, they've now asked me for a itemised quote. I don't normally do this as I don't really want to spend the time doing it. Another thing is I don't really like them knowing what I 'make' from the job. They don't have to choose me, so if they get a cheaper quote elsewhere, fair enough.

how can you possibly itemise a bill that includes all the little bits that add up?

Last edited by a moderator:
parts and labour if they go down that route, however I do tend to show itemised costs and if they try comparing internet prices I just point out they lose all warranties from me and they are welcome to look elsewhere. Lose a few gain a few, thats life. I do also add my 20% and so they just get to see a total cost of boiler flue etc, everything else is bulked together ie cu tube, fittings, waste etc plus sundries of £25 to cover odds n sods and dont forget £25 for building regs (its your time that you need to cost for as well)

Last edited by a moderator:
Never itemise it. The sort of people that ask for that are wanting information to throw back at you and get you to reduce your price. If they are genuine what difference does it make, the total price is the same. I'd walk away cos they are probably the sort of people that will try and get out of paying anyway.

If you don't you'll probably lose the job for hiding your prices anyway so nothing to lose.

i would add every item line by line make sure you add your mark up and a line for consumables, sundries or whatever to round up screws, clips, fittings whatever.

To be honest its good practice, you'll be able to see what it all equates too, sometimes the customers have a shock when they realise how much all the components add up too! But don't be afraid to be making money, but be prepared to justify your charges whatever they may be.

Just list all points i'm going to do itemising the main parts, boiler, controls, etc. Then just one figure to do the job.

For instance.
labour. £350
boiler £1400 ( this includes gas safe registration and warrantee)
flue kit. £ 96
tube and fittings. £ 85
magnaclean. £ 110
electrical work. £150
flushing. £ 200 ( including inhibitor )
sundries. £ 40

total. £ can't be arsed to add it up!

sometimes, if you itemise the customer sees where all the costs come from, and realise its not just the cost of the boiler.

Decommission
Supply and install y
Install z
Making good and decoration by others

Tea supplied

Never show costs just price. If they quibble, or show you internet prices just say ok if I'm cheaper can I use your prices plus my current labour charge? If they are stupid enough to say ok, get your invoices out. They won't be able to buy cheaper so your a winner....... Unless u use Williams then it might be a disaster? ;)

agree with roger and nostrum, I itemise mine , nothing to be worried about

Just list all points i'm going to do itemising the main parts, boiler, controls, etc. Then just one figure to do the job.

I agree.In the end the bottom line is your price, what you want to do the job.A clear description of what is going to be done and main parts.I never separate the labour.The last thing you want is someone saying 'How much?! For 2 days work!!A quote is really a paper confirmation of what was discussed when making the initial visit.To some extent you will have got the job based on that visit provided your price is not way out.On a recent quote I was told I was last one of 3 to quote but I had been recommended by a customer.When I was checking the upstairs I heard them talking and it was on the lines of 'He told us what we could do about the showers and different ways of cleaning the system.He knows his stuff.'I at least knew I was in with a chance and quoted a proper rate rather than one to try to undercut the competition.So yes your quote is important and the way it is presented but except to certain types of customer ,it isn't everything.I got the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How do you itemise quotes? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I live in a really remote part of the Highlands, so paying for a plumber (or electrician?) to do this will be brutally expensive, so I need to...
Replies
Views
Good morning all, just a quick one here and i was wondering if someone could give a little advice on their own experience. I don't usually do a...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
We have recently moved into a property which has a Worcester Greenstar Highflow 440 Standalone Combi gas boiler. This appears to be a relatively...
Replies
Views
Vaillant ecoTEC Plus 400 15kW Heat Only Boiler I've got air in the pump and one gas engineer has said I need to move the pipes as they are...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock