Discuss How much stuff do you turn down? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
I keep ending up booking in stuff which I know will be a waste of my time but I seem to get dragged into it.

What would you say to the following (which I've had over last 24 hours) presuming you are too busy / not interested:

"leak coming from somewhere. or at least a damp patch. a couple of plumbers have looked but not found anything. you do free quotes and advice, right? so you could come tell us what you think..."

Also what do you say to this type of thing:

"Oh you can come monday? That's good. Let's book that in. I'm sure that will be fine. I'll give you a call in the next few days if there's a problem and I can't make it afterall."

The former is just going to be:

You: Needs searching for. This is the hourly rate. Can't tell you how long it will take or how much it will cost.
Them: We'll have a think and let you know.

The latter might well be:

Monday morning text: 'Sorry for late notice but due to a family bereavement..."

By which time you may have turned down something else.

To the second one you might say "if you dont book me in by so-and-so, i may not be free on monday" or "i book new work in all the time, if i cant make monday, is there a more definite date we can set"

To the second one you might say "if you dont book me in by so-and-so, i may not be free on monday" or "i book new work in all the time, if i cant make monday, is there a more definite date we can set"

Yep, ditto. I give people who want to pencil appointments in a deadline to confirm. If no confirmation I'll book something else in and email them to let them know the slot's gone.

As for the vague damp path queries, same as above. State hourly rate and tell them it's open-ended and could involve removing plaster, flooring, ceilings etc.

I keep ending up booking in stuff which I know will be a waste of my time but I seem to get dragged into it.

What would you say to the following (which I've had over last 24 hours) presuming you are too busy / not interested:

"leak coming from somewhere. or at least a damp patch. a couple of plumbers have looked but not found anything. you do free quotes and advice, right? so you could come tell us what you think..."

Also what do you say to this type of thing:

"Oh you can come monday? That's good. Let's book that in. I'm sure that will be fine. I'll give you a call in the next few days if there's a problem and I can't make it afterall."

Scenario one: Hourly rate for investigating.

scenario two: Cancelation charge will be issued.

WE have a concensus on this - when any of us goes out to look at a job (or even on the phone)
if any of us 'smell poverty' ie think they wont pay we walk away,

After 35 years in this game one gets a nose for it as do our fellas - look around the house
and the outside and make your opinion - are they mingers or good upright people

Then your choice to take the work on can be made.......centralheatking

we always look after the oldies and if they are a bit infirm get a relative to check our work
BEFORE any payment is made CHK

Sorry I can't hear you did you say new boiler?

Cust; err no a leaking tap

Oh bye!

Obviously we do some parp jobs, but draw the line at in blocking toilets , shower heads and reseating taps. If apprentice free send them and tell them to negotiate price and keep money as not interested !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How much stuff do you turn down? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I recently read a post / comment whereby there was a recommendation that if you are away from your home more than 24 hours, then you should turn...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I would really appreciate your eyes on these pictures - What do you see ? Does anything look strange about the Rockwool insulation to...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I've been running an UFH installation/ repair business for 7 years now and one of my main frustrations is finding the parts for the UFH...
Replies
Views
Hi Folks, advice needed here... I am a 51 yr old leak detection engineer/plumber 2 years into self employment which i am loving. To get going I...
Replies
Views
Hello. My name is Ştefan (or Steven, if you like). I'm from Bucharest, capital of Romania. Borned here, raised here. My passion for some old...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock