Discuss How stiff should the 3 port valve be? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Had a couple occasions where roomstat was calling for heat but boiler wouldn't fire. Wiggled the head on the 3 port valve (Drayton MA1) and the lever would then move from M to H, there'd be a click, the pump would come on and the boiler would fire. Actually on both occasions it looked like the lever was just past M.

Seems something is a bit sticky. Took the head off and tried turning the valve spindle by hand, it's quite stiff, I have to use a pair of pliers. Was wondering if the motor is getting a little knackered and it's struggling to turn the spindle, so don't know whether to change the head or the whole valve. Should I be able to turn it with my fingers?

Cheers, Fronty

Yes, you should be able to turn it with your fingers. Compare it to a new one.
Although they generally do get stiffer with age

Head off

Put some wd40 down on the spindle and work it back and forward should loosen up

WD40 on rubber O ring seals? Waiting for Dave to tell us it's going to wreck them.

Don’t think there any oring s

I don’t have years of experience like some on here, I’m still relatively young and picking up bits as I go. If the valve is still fluent then that would tell me it’s the head, ie dodgy connections or the motor. Personally for the price of a new valve I’d just replace the whole thing but that’s just me lol

Well this is just sods law, as soon as I say I fixed it, it plays up this evening.
That's par for the course if you use WD-40 to 'fix' a seized mechanism. Will work long enough to confirm the problem but you still need to replace the worn parts and/or use a correctly spec'ed lubriant.

As SJB060685 wisely said just 'replace the whole thing'. Time is money and nobody likes call-backs.

Last edited:

Reply to How stiff should the 3 port valve be? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My 3 way actuator valve has gone on my central heating. I think it's a combination of the valve motor burning out due to a stiff valve on the...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hi experts, i'm looking for some advice to get to the bottom of my boiler problem. The boiler is a Glowworm Ultimate 40FF so a traditional NOT...
Replies
Views
G
Hello Since moving into my property in 2016, I must have been through 5 or 6 mid position valves of various makes. I am just about to swap over...
Replies
Views
Hi plumbers and DIYers I made a post about my 3-port valve a couple of weeks ago, but have finally been able to take a look and thought best to...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock