Discuss How to stop corrosion in tap shroud in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nobbyone

Hi,

I am a handyman for a letting agents. I am have many tenants reporting faulty basin/bath crosshead taps. When I open the shroud to get to the headgear I find that the clip that holds the stem against the headgear is missing completely or has been severely dissolved so that it is found floating around inside the shroud with other dissolved stuff.

I am right in thinking that the modern cleaners and de-scalers are causing this?

If so what can I do to protect the headgear and clip in a shroud from heavy handed cleaners?

Thanks.

buy better taps or replace the e clip with a stainless steel one

A lot of cheap taps now have the shrouds made of a diecast zinc material (Mazac or similar). It can be polished and chromed so that it looks the same as the brass body of the tap, but its very prone to electrolytic corrosion.

The answer is to use only all brass taps - but you need written assurance that they ARE all brass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How to stop corrosion in tap shroud in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I have a kitchen tap with a leak, I would like to undo the top and replace the valve but I cannot see how to do it. I have tried. 1. Sticking...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am trying to replace the washers in a 1960's bathroom that has BBC (Barking Brassware Company) basin and matching bath taps fitted. Having...
Replies
Views
I have a central heating system and hot water tank (Y plan) heated by a conventional system Baxi Solo 2 60PF gas boiler (~20 years old) with a...
Replies
Views
N
Hi, I am a handyman for a letting agent. I visited a property today to show the tenants how to bleed their radiators. But one rad had a bleed...
Replies
Views
I have installed tap revivers (2 headgears and 2 tap handles) on our bathroom basin taps. Everything works fine except that the bottom of the new...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock