Discuss i need to pick your brains. wheres Simon F lol in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

scottyblen

when it comes down to heat and calculating the amount of heat required 60 mins X 60 seconds=3,600 gives me the number of seconds in an hour right?

the book i have been reading from states "1000 joules over 1 second X 3,600 (number of seconds in one minute)

i am lost.

The amount of heat required for what? Give us a clue and you will get an answer.

i just didn't understand that part of the text in the book.

the specfic heat capacity 4.186.

lets say there is 150 lts of water the current temp of that water is 4 degres C. I want to get it 80 degres C.

so thats 150 ltrs X 4.186 X (80 - 4) = 47,720.4

47,720.4/ 3600= 13.26 KWH

Right i better find the calculator then :smile:
Q = mc⌂T
m = the mass (in this case 150 litres)
c =the specific heat capacity (water is 4.186 joules/gram (or watt/seconds))
⌂T = the temperature rise (in this case 76°)

Your mass should really be converted to grams (1 litre is a kg so needs multiplied by 1000) but don't do it here unless you want the answer in watts as it is easier and would need converting back.

so
150 x 4.186 x 76 = 47720.4
this answer is how many kw you would need to raise the temperature of 150 litres of water by 76°C in 1 second which is useless to you as you probably want to know how long it would take a 3kw immersion to do that
so
divide 47720.4 by 3(for a 3kw immersion) = 15906.8 then divide that by 60 (seconds in a minute) = 263.11 minutes to raise the temperature

Right i better find the calculator then :smile:
Q = mc⌂T
m = the mass (in this case 150 litres)
c =the specific heat capacity (water is 4.186 joules/gram (or watt/seconds))
⌂T = the temperature rise (in this case 76°)

Your mass should really be converted to grams (1 litre is a kg so needs multiplied by 1000) but don't do it here unless you want the answer in watts as it is easier and would need converting back.

so
150 x 4.186 x 76 = 47720.4
this answer is how many kw you would need to raise the temperature of 150 litres of water by 76°C in 1 second which is useless to you as you probably want to know how long it would take a 3kw immersion to do that
so
divide 47720.4 by 3(for a 3kw immersion) = 15906.8 then divide that by 60 (seconds in a minute) = 263.11 minutes to raise the temperature
you have lost your mears,or are sober LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to i need to pick your brains. wheres Simon F lol in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock