Discuss If a radiator has no TRV - what does it need instead? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hey

Sorry for the very basic question! Just putting my Screwfix shopping order together. We'll be putting a radiator in the bathroom and don't want that to have a TRV. So what does it have instead? A lockshield on both sides?

Any recommendations on what to get for a Stelrad Compact?

Many thanks

Thanks chaps.

I've just had a rummage and found a couple of these:

IMG_20211011_185452792.jpg

To demonstrate my ignorance even further.... They're lockshield valves aren't they? If so, the piece on the right - is that part of it? I have two valves, but only one of those pieces.

Or a manual radiator valve (essentially similar valve).

If this ends up being the only radiator without a TRV - i.e. the always on rad - would a manual valve still be an option or best to have two lockshields?

Thanks for the help

Either or, it doesn’t matter. Yes what you’ve posted a photo of is a lockshield, and the piece to the right is a radiator tail, the threaded part screws into radiator and then the nut and olive tighten down onto the smooth part.

No idea what happened to the other radiator tail then but never mind... I presume the plumber can just re-use the tail from the radiator he is replacing? Or else might have one on the van?

Or is it better to use decent quality lockshields? These ones are Plumb Centre Tradefix / Wolseley... That being said, the central heating is back up (main heat is from wood burners).

Thanks for all the help with this.

That valve will be fine.
Most lockshields, including that one, can operate as a manual valve too - the only difference is the white plastic cover. For a lockshield it doesn’t engage with the valve spindle, for a manual the centre of the inside of the cover engages with the valve spindle and allows it to be turned.

Reply to If a radiator has no TRV - what does it need instead? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I would appreciate a little help. I am unlucky enough to have an 8mm microbore gravity fed indirect central heating system (11 Radiators) on...
Replies
Views
We live in a 1980s four-bedroom detached house. The time has come for new central heating. The current system is a mild revision of the original...
Replies
Views
My kitchen radiator is filling with hot water despite my TRV being set to 0. It's blazing at maximum. This goes for the rad when I try two...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’ve a problem with one radiator not working in the house, it’s not been working for a while. I’ve had cleaner in the system for 4 weeks...
Replies
Views
D
Hi all, I have read through numerous online guides as well as the pinned Balancing Radiators Thread on this forum. However still have several...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock