Discuss If customer wants breakdown of quotes do you give them? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
And if not, what reasons would you give them?

Also if you would for certain size jobs and not/less likely for others, why?

Thanks.

Essentially I want a good answer for when you're quoting fairly high for a job you're not desperate for / is a pig of a job / has an annoying customer involved and don't want to reveal your high labour cost.

I'm not talking about being a rip off here, just expensive and not keen to show how expensive.

I decline politely. I ask them if, when they buy a loaf of bread or a pint, if they ask to know the cost of ingredients and labour. Most laugh it off. Some insist that they want to check cost of materials. Those people inevitably turn out to be pains in the 'arris so I just don't provide the quote.

They get a free estimate. End of.

Breakdown?, course you can. £50 please.

To properly breakdown the cost would be about an hours work so no chance unless they pay. If they want this then they sound like the sort of customer that will be a pain further on.

With a free quote,there is no chance of me doing a breakdown.Guaranteed that anyone who wants the price of the parts is up to no good :)

The problem with breaking a quote down and going into too much detail is they can then use it to "tender" for more quotes!! I've been caught with that before.

The only time they get a breakdown is if its multiple jobs. So if I was doing the main bathroom, ensuite and a cloakroom then they would get a price for each room. But thats more for my genefit as I would want paying after each rooms completed.

Or if I was doing a new build or full refurb. The whole job would be x and the breakdown would be again for payment stages. So 50% at first fix completion etc.

On an estimate for a small job with very little labour, but expensive parts, I would prefer to give people a breakdown so that they can see that nearly every penny is in the cost of the materials.
Like if you were supplying and fitting an expensive set of taps costing several hundred but just an hours labour, for example.
I do remember years ago one fairly wealthy gent who must have assumed he was ripped off because his new bathroom suite was approx over £800 retail but the bill for supplying and fitting it was over £1100. This bill included a new radiator, quality rad valves plus all pipes including sewer & fittings. He must have expected to get the full discount on the bathroom suite (which he did!) & had expected the bill to be less. He was a bit slow in paying final money & sent a letter with it asking what discount he had been given!
People can assume you are always getting plenty of money for labour.

Last edited:
Ok the consensus is not to give them.

But hasn't anyone got a good suggestion of how to say this to someone who asks for it while still sounding reasonable, friendly and professional? Analogies involving pints of milk seem a bit patronising.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to If customer wants breakdown of quotes do you give them? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Everyone, For those who like a long read but I could rally do with some advice. Might be a bit long this. For background. A...
Replies
Views
    • Funny
    • Love
Hi ladies and gents, Just thought I'd give you a laugh. As some of you are aware, I'm currently the owner of a newsagent's shop out in the...
Replies
Views
What do you say to them? I've just had someone that want a radiator installing in an annexe and would like me to go round and give them a price...
Replies
Views
Well, this is a new one on me. Has anyone got any thoughts on the following? I completed a bathroom job and invoiced for the last portion of...
Replies
Views
    • Love
FIXRADIO are looking for 20 nominations for their Plumbers Category So please do nominate yourself (we can't nominate on your behalf, we haven't...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock