Search the forum,

Discuss Impact Driver for Self Tapping Screws in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi everyone.

When using small self tapping screws that you can't use a screw driver on do you use an impact driver?

I know a small scocket would fit ok but it can be hard to use enough force to actually screw it in to anything.

Anyway what do you guys use, and if you use a driver can you recommend me one. I don't want to pay a fortune as it won't get a lot of use but would be handy to have.

Thanks

just use electric drill/driver for screws, if youre not using it much just get cheapo.
dont understand socket bit for self tappers ?

use a drill driver, drill a small pilot hole first if its tuff metal. 2.0 to 3.0mm is normally the right size pilot, i have about 20 x 3mm drill bits on the van cus you will break them very easy. I also carry about 6 different size self tappers, the best one are the boxes for the metal wall studs, sold in boxes of 1000 but will last you a career.

i would not use an impact driver as they are very harsh.

Impact drivers are far to harsh for our trade, you'll just end up losing your fixings. Go for makita or dewalt. If you buy a real cheapie and you don't use it much the batteries won't last.

Think he means hex head self tappers, I use a socket an electric drill

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357678776.967782.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357678776.967782.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 41
Yes that's what I meant. Apologies for any confusion.

Would a small driver be ok for use on those?
pre-drill the hole with a small HSS(high speed steel) bit,get yourself a few sizes 2.5-6 mm get spares as well because they can snap easy but you should find the screws go in no effort then

the hex heads yoiuve pictured are self drilling i use a small makita impact driver all the time clips boilers bolts rad fixings and self tappers like all tools you need to learn to use it nothing bigger than 12 v ash or they are to heavy to use constantly

Makita 18v impact driver are the nuts. Perfect as said for clipping , rad brackets etc, has a little hook on it to hang off where you wish. Screwfix regularly do a good deal on a little combi set, it's a 14.4v combi drill, and a 10v impact driver. I've had this particular set for a year now and still going strong, although the makita 18v set is much better, but also £200 dearer

Makita 18v impact driver are the nuts. Perfect as said for clipping , rad brackets etc, has a little hook on it to hang off where you wish. Screwfix regularly do a good deal on a little combi set, it's a 14.4v combi drill, and a 10v impact driver. I've had this particular set for a year now and still going strong, although the makita 18v set is much better, but also £200 dearer
The screwfix deal I mentioned is DeWalt they are lithium batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Impact Driver for Self Tapping Screws in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock