Discuss Incoming Gas Question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

plumbinguser

Hi

Not sure if post in correct place so feel free to move if required.

I had the gas people out to check for a leak that could be smelled in the meter unit box (outside).

Turned out to be a very small leak from the meter out pipe to either the actual pipework or where it attatches to the metal plate. They said it was due to corrosion and after takling the meter off and reattatching they said it was cured.

Turns out the smell is back. Question is, if it is from where the house side attatches (either to the meter connection or fauly meter pipe out) to the meter who is responsible for that bit, me or the gas company?

I ask as I don't want them to come and say it is us and turn it off until I get home and have to find a recommended gas person.

Transco are obliged to attend all gas escapes and if it's on the suppliers equipment they'll fix it free of charge, otherwise they'll advise you of what to do next. You own everything AFTER the meter outlet I believe. TRASCO-MAN will give you best advice FREE. :)

Thank you for the reply, can I just ask another bit (at work so can't call them out yet as won't be there!)

The gas pipe (from house) comes up into the meter box, bends around and connects to the meter. If the small escape is at the meter outlet where the pipe goes in is this consumer realted (when I looked at what he was doing he seemed to be putting liquid around the point where the meter attatched to the metal plate that held the meter up)

TRANSCO will not charge you for the call out and they are best to advise you on what they are responsible for. There use to be a certain distance beyond the meter that B-Gas were responsible for but I believe that is no longer the case. In effect anything connected and beyond the outlet is yours.... I can't be exact on that as I have not done meter work for a good few years! As I say though, TRANSCO will not charge you ......!

Probably a stupid question but, if it turns out that I need a Gas Safe engineer, is there somewhere on the forum where someone local can be found (rather than just taking a punt in yellow pages)

If you need an engineer, just start a new thread stating this and in what area you are in. I'm sure someone on here would gladly come and take a look at it for you.

Or just follow up on this thread. you may have a taste of gas from the regulator and being hypersensitive after calling out transco earlier you just may notice it more.

Having said that, Transco would rather reattend if only to double check and reassure you than have a gas leak on their hands.

Call them back now!

Or just follow up on this thread. you may have a taste of gas from the regulator and being hypersensitive after calling out transco earlier you just may notice it more.

Having said that, Transco would rather reattend if only to double check and reassure you than have a gas leak on their hands.

Call them back now!

Sound advice from all the guys if in doubt call em out..second opinion will put your mind at ease good luck and let us know the out come please:)regards turnpin

just state where in the u.k you are and someone on here will help you with the back up of 30,000 recomendations of other members from this forum.

now thats a bit better than pot luck than getting out the yellow book.lol.

when you say pot luck, are you saying a lot of gas safe members in the yellow pages arent competent ?

so someone finding a gas safe member out of the yellow pages isnt pot luck

Hi hope you,ve sorted your gas leak by now.

Just as a point of interest TRANSCO don't exist anymore it's now a number of national emergency service providers e.g Southern Gas Networks (S.G.N) National Grid Gas etc.

There service is free all year 24hrs a day, They are responsible fot the pipework up to and the meter and usually the meter it self. In some cases a shipper in the case of National grid or Onstream are responsible for the meter. The house owner is responsible for everything after the meter,outlet, that's everything on the right hand side.

Oh and the water was leak detection fluid which is applied to the test nipple after a soundness test to make sure it's not leaking, L.D.F can also be applied to the pipework and fittings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Incoming Gas Question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

D
Recently noticed a gas smell coming from my ideal classic RS50 boiler. Cadent have been out and confirmed a small leak and capped off the gas. The...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the...
Replies
Views
Not exactly a plumbing problem but here goes. I have known for a couple of years there was a water leak somewhere between the water meter, on our...
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a gravity fed conventional gas fired boiler (Potterton Kingfisher MF). The boiler is fed cold water from...
Replies
Views
Hi i wonder if anybody can help with my query, the only gas appliance i have is a ideal Mexico super cf455 boiler, historically my gas usage was...
Replies
Views
Back